Solo Brass
Even with SWAM 3 Brass, there's still a min. Note-On issue for wind controller players

Hi @admin, you've done a pretty good job with SWAM Brass...these instruments are quite playable. However, there's still a minimum "Note-On value" issue that affects wind controller players like me i.e. most wind controllers don't create a Note-On event until a value of approx. 7 or 8 but because SWAM instruments respond to Note-On events all the way down to 0, wind controller players experience an abrupt start or end to notes when playing SWAM instruments. As a workaround, I've had to assign CC2 to Main Volume with SWAM instruments in order to get smooth note starts/ends but this creates its own problems i.e. quick passages sound very uneven and note transitions often sound a bit weird.

I've raised this issue previously and had hoped that SWAM 3 might take the minimum "Note-On value" situation into consideration but it doesn't.

Is it possible to please address this?

Hi @admin, you've done a pretty good job with SWAM Brass...these instruments are quite playable. However, there's still a minimum "Note-On value" issue that affects wind controller players like me i.e. most wind controllers don't create a Note-On event until a value of approx. 7 or 8 but because SWAM instruments respond to Note-On events all the way down to 0, wind controller players experience an abrupt start or end to notes when playing SWAM instruments. As a workaround, I've had to assign CC2 to Main Volume with SWAM instruments in order to get smooth note starts/ends but this creates its own problems i.e. quick passages sound very uneven and note transitions often sound a bit weird. I've raised this issue previously and had hoped that SWAM 3 might take the minimum "Note-On value" situation into consideration but it doesn't. Is it possible to please address this?
edited Feb 28 at 3:39 am

With the TEC Breath controller, I use the SWAM Flutes since the software had been released. With a BC you can control Note-On and dynamics independently.
We were discussing the issue of the impossibility to create a really soft starting tone (no harsh attack when slowly increasing the dynamics CC slowly up from Zero after Note-On) multiple times, but seemingly the physical model and/or the SWAM engine does not provide that mode.
-Michael

With the TEC Breath controller, I use the SWAM Flutes since the software had been released. With a BC you can control Note-On and dynamics independently. We were discussing the issue of the impossibility to create a really soft starting tone (no harsh attack when slowly increasing the dynamics CC slowly up from Zero **after** Note-On) multiple times, but seemingly the physical model and/or the SWAM engine does not provide that mode. -Michael
edited Feb 28 at 6:48 am

@mschnell, I wouldn't think it'd be difficult to implement an option to calibrate SWAM for optimum performance with your wind controller. I've done quite a bit of research and it seems that all the major wind controllers start their Note-On at 7 or 8; to my knowledge, none of them start or go down to 0. I'm curious as to why Audio Modeling seems to be ignoring this fact. It causes a significant disruption when playing softly and the workaround of mapping CC2 to main volume is almost as problematic but in different ways.

@mschnell, I wouldn't think it'd be difficult to implement an option to calibrate SWAM for optimum performance with your wind controller. I've done quite a bit of research and it seems that all the major wind controllers start their Note-On at 7 or 8; to my knowledge, none of them start or go down to 0. I'm curious as to why Audio Modeling seems to be ignoring this fact. It causes a significant disruption when playing softly and the workaround of mapping CC2 to main volume is almost as problematic but in different ways.
edited Feb 28 at 10:02 am

@Maddcow you just need to remap the CC2 values so that when it receives a value <= 7 or 8, the new value is 0.

With the new remapping curve we provide with the SWAM Solo Brass it's really easy to do.

5e5ece9e7523e

@Maddcow you just need to remap the CC2 values so that when it receives a value &lt;= 7 or 8, the new value is 0. With the new remapping curve we provide with the SWAM Solo Brass it&#039;s really easy to do. ![5e5ece9e7523e](serve/attachment&amp;path=5e5ece9e7523e)

Will this feature be available for the Flutes as well in some future update ?
BTW: With the current Flutes, slowly increasing the dynamic from the first accepted non-zero value (i.e. 7) does not prevent a harsh attack.
-Michael

Will this feature be available for the Flutes as well in some future update ? BTW: With the current Flutes, slowly increasing the dynamic from the first accepted non-zero value (i.e. 7) does not prevent a harsh attack. -Michael
edited Mar 4 at 5:54 am

@mschnell ALL SWAM products will be ported to the new GUI and UX, including MIDI mapping, in a few months.

Best!

@mschnell ALL SWAM products will be ported to the new GUI and UX, including MIDI mapping, in a few months. Best!
live preview
enter atleast 1 characters
WARNING: You mentioned %MENTIONS%, but they cannot see this message and will not be notified
Saving...
Saved
With selected deselect posts show selected posts
All posts under this topic will be deleted ?
Pending draft ... Click to resume editing
Discard draft