Solo Strings
Feature suggestion: Jammy guitar support for strings

Hi! I'd like to suggest adding support for using jammy guitar with the solo strings instruments. As far as I understand, this midi controller supports outputting each string to a separate midi channel. Coming from a guitar background, I'd love to be able to select strings on the fly instead of specifying a position beforehand, so if you could add some type of functionality in the SWAM v3 strings to split out each string on a separate channel that would be absolutely stellar!

(oh, and the guitar can be "tuned" to open 5ths, so if you can play it on the guitar, you'd be able to play it on a real bowed instrument smile )

Hi! I'd like to suggest adding support for using jammy guitar with the solo strings instruments. As far as I understand, this midi controller supports outputting each string to a separate midi channel. Coming from a guitar background, I'd love to be able to select strings on the fly instead of specifying a position beforehand, so if you could add some type of functionality in the SWAM v3 strings to split out each string on a separate channel that would be absolutely stellar! (oh, and the guitar can be "tuned" to open 5ths, so if you can play it on the guitar, you'd be able to play it on a real bowed instrument ;) )

Hi @magnushodne, thanks for your suggestion, anyway as you may know, in a real Bowed String instrument the bow can just lay on two adjacent strings.
If we allowed to select each string independently, that would be unrealistic.

Moreover, consider that the bow position is a constraint for both strings (when played together) and our model takes into account a small amount of "auto bow position" in order to maintain the right string vibration for both strings, depending on the selected pitch (i.e. finger position), bow speed and bow pressure, in the same way a trained violin player would do. If those elements were independent for each string, it would be impossible to have a single bow position. So, again, it would be unrealistic.

What we can do is to allow for separate channels, but with constraint that only the notes on two adjacent channels can be considered at the same time.

Best!

Hi @magnushodne, thanks for your suggestion, anyway as you may know, in a real Bowed String instrument the bow can just lay on two adjacent strings. If we allowed to select each string independently, that would be unrealistic. Moreover, consider that the bow position is a constraint for both strings (when played together) and our model takes into account a small amount of "auto bow position" in order to maintain the right string vibration for both strings, depending on the selected pitch (i.e. finger position), bow speed and bow pressure, in the same way a trained violin player would do. If those elements were independent for each string, it would be impossible to have a single bow position. So, again, it would be unrealistic. What we can do is to allow for separate channels, but with constraint that only the notes on two adjacent channels can be considered at the same time. Best!

That would be terrific! Yes, I'm aware of the bow limitations. What I meant was that by having each string on a separate channel, you wouldn't have to use keyswitches to specify fingering/positions - if I want to play sul G I can just stick to one string. And since the jammy can be set to open 5ths, it would allow the performance of phrases that aren't as easy to execute on a keyboard (think chromatic runs or sequenced patterns for those of us who aren't proficient pianists smile ). Furthermore, if you wanted to play triple or quadruple stops, you'd be limited to the ones that are comfortable to finger on a bowed instrument. Since the Jammy guitar allows you to strum like a guitar, I'd assume by having the SWAM engine only react to adjacent MIDI channels it would allow you to create very realistic double/triple/quadruple stops as well

That would be terrific! Yes, I'm aware of the bow limitations. What I meant was that by having each string on a separate channel, you wouldn't have to use keyswitches to specify fingering/positions - if I want to play sul G I can just stick to one string. And since the jammy can be set to open 5ths, it would allow the performance of phrases that aren't as easy to execute on a keyboard (think chromatic runs or sequenced patterns for those of us who aren't proficient pianists ;) ). Furthermore, if you wanted to play triple or quadruple stops, you'd be limited to the ones that are comfortable to finger on a bowed instrument. Since the Jammy guitar allows you to strum like a guitar, I'd assume by having the SWAM engine only react to adjacent MIDI channels it would allow you to create very realistic double/triple/quadruple stops as well
edited Jun 21 at 7:23 pm
live preview
enter atleast 1 characters
WARNING: You mentioned %MENTIONS%, but they cannot see this message and will not be notified
Saving...
Saved
With selected deselect posts show selected posts
All posts under this topic will be deleted ?
Pending draft ... Click to resume editing
Discard draft