Solo Woodwinds
Audio drop outs a glitches

Been having problems with audio drop out, glitches or crackle. I used LatencyMon to analyse and found some offending drivers. Made those adjustments and got all my drivers under 1ms. Most are under .5ms. The highest is NVIDDMKM.sys which is .598. LatencyMon reports my system is capable of handling real time audio however, when I play my Synthophone using Audio Modelings Saxophones i still get drop outs. This happens with only the metronome running in Reaper DAW.
Is it possible one of the components has become corrupted? Does that happen?
Edit......I have set the power performance to DAW Power Plan which is Never and Never.

Windows 7 pro
AMD FX 8 core processor 4Ghz
32 gigs of ram
65 bit operating system
Toshiba OCZ Vector 180 120GB 2.5" 7mm SATA III Internal Solid State Drive VTR180-25SAT3-120G
Reaper 5.95 64 bit

Been having problems with audio drop out, glitches or crackle. I used LatencyMon to analyse and found some offending drivers. Made those adjustments and got all my drivers under 1ms. Most are under .5ms. The highest is NVIDDMKM.sys which is .598. LatencyMon reports my system is capable of handling real time audio however, when I play my Synthophone using Audio Modelings Saxophones i still get drop outs. This happens with only the metronome running in Reaper DAW. Is it possible one of the components has become corrupted? Does that happen? Edit......I have set the power performance to DAW Power Plan which is Never and Never. Windows 7 pro AMD FX 8 core processor 4Ghz 32 gigs of ram 65 bit operating system Toshiba OCZ Vector 180 120GB 2.5" 7mm SATA III Internal Solid State Drive VTR180-25SAT3-120G Reaper 5.95 64 bit
edited Sep 24 '18 at 4:50 am

The lower the latency is set, the more likely are dropouts and crackles.

-Michael

The lower the latency is set, the more likely are dropouts and crackles. -Michael
edited Sep 23 '18 at 9:39 pm

What's the buffer size?

Keep close the plugin's GUI.

Best,
Emanuele

What's the buffer size? Keep close the plugin's GUI. Best, Emanuele

5ba8500774b2e

This drivers view was recorded while I was playing the Synthophone along with a backing track and the USBPort.sys Highest Execution was 1.139. Without playing the Synthophone, with the backing tract playing, the Highest Execution reading is .233

5ba85b8ebaf55

This is a screen shot of the Main or analysis window in LatencyMon
I haven't found where I can disable the CPU throttling settings even though it says it's in the Control Panel!

5ba85c8b167d8

Update. Monday Sept 24th I got the numbers down in LatencyMon but still had stalls and one complete drop out while running reaper and playing the Synthophone. I noticed a notification window popped up saying a USB connection could rum faster. Looking for how to turn it off I found several potential notifications that could be turned off so, I did. Also, I forgot to disconnect to the internet. With those adjustments, I got the following reports. I think it's good now.

5ba973eecf015
5ba973ef56dba

![5ba8500774b2e](serve/attachment&path=5ba8500774b2e) This drivers view was recorded while I was playing the Synthophone along with a backing track and the USBPort.sys Highest Execution was 1.139. Without playing the Synthophone, with the backing tract playing, the Highest Execution reading is .233 ![5ba85b8ebaf55](serve/attachment&path=5ba85b8ebaf55) This is a screen shot of the Main or analysis window in LatencyMon I haven't found where I can disable the CPU throttling settings even though it says it's in the Control Panel! ![5ba85c8b167d8](serve/attachment&path=5ba85c8b167d8) Update. Monday Sept 24th I got the numbers down in LatencyMon but still had stalls and one complete drop out while running reaper and playing the Synthophone. I noticed a notification window popped up saying a USB connection could rum faster. Looking for how to turn it off I found several potential notifications that could be turned off so, I did. Also, I forgot to disconnect to the internet. With those adjustments, I got the following reports. I think it's good now. ![5ba973eecf015](serve/attachment&path=5ba973eecf015) ![5ba973ef56dba](serve/attachment&path=5ba973ef56dba)
edited Sep 25 '18 at 12:33 am

It seems good! Are you still experiencing dropouts?

It seems good! Are you still experiencing dropouts?

It is acceptable when running reaper with one track loaded with a backing track and playing the Synthophone. I haven't tried it with FX's loaded or multiple tracks running. What I did notice is when I was running Amazing Slow Downer with reaper running and only playing the Synthophone, LatencyMon lit up red with a notice saying my system was having difficulty handling the audio suggesting I disable throttling but, it turns out Win 7 won't allow it. I want to add that even though LatencyMon said what it said, I didn't experience any glitches or drops. It must be right on the edge? Depending on the application running, different sys files become offenders!
I build this system off of recommended components from a YouTube video https://youtu.be/Fb64awHkubo but, for some reason or, maybe no reason at all, I bought a different video card than what was in his list. The card I bought was a gaming card. From what I have read, there is no need for this and it might actually be working against DAW use. I ordered a low end low cost card from NewEgg (EVGA GeForce 8400 GS DirectX 10 01G-P3-1302-LR 1GB 64-Bit DDR3 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready Video Card $38.00) to see if it makes a difference.

It is acceptable when running reaper with one track loaded with a backing track and playing the Synthophone. I haven't tried it with FX's loaded or multiple tracks running. What I did notice is when I was running Amazing Slow Downer with reaper running and only playing the Synthophone, LatencyMon lit up red with a notice saying my system was having difficulty handling the audio suggesting I disable throttling but, it turns out Win 7 won't allow it. I want to add that even though LatencyMon said what it said, I didn't experience any glitches or drops. It must be right on the edge? Depending on the application running, different sys files become offenders! I build this system off of recommended components from a YouTube video https://youtu.be/Fb64awHkubo but, for some reason or, maybe no reason at all, I bought a different video card than what was in his list. The card I bought was a gaming card. From what I have read, there is no need for this and it might actually be working against DAW use. I ordered a low end low cost card from NewEgg (EVGA GeForce 8400 GS DirectX 10 01G-P3-1302-LR 1GB 64-Bit DDR3 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready Video Card $38.00) to see if it makes a difference.

For playing Live, you need to set the latency appropriately low to really hear what you play.

To avoid dropouts and crackles, you need to use appropriate equipment: An audio output device specified for decently low latency, appropriately powerful computer hardware. It Windows, the OS tweaked for real time usability.

-Michael (using Reaper on a Windows PC (i7 CPU fanless) for Live (stage) performance with multiple plugins,including SWAM)

For playing Live, you need to set the latency appropriately low to really hear what you play. To avoid dropouts and crackles, you need to use appropriate equipment: An audio output device specified for decently low latency, appropriately powerful computer hardware. It Windows, the OS tweaked for real time usability. -Michael (using Reaper on a Windows PC (i7 CPU fanless) for Live (stage) performance with multiple plugins,including SWAM)
edited Sep 26 '18 at 5:29 am

I ended up buying a new mother board, memory, cpu and Windows 10. Got it all put together and working. Turned out the mouthpiece was also defective on my Synthophone so I bought a new mouthpiece ($385) ouch! So. a G later and it's working perfectly.

I ended up buying a new mother board, memory, cpu and Windows 10. Got it all put together and working. Turned out the mouthpiece was also defective on my Synthophone so I bought a new mouthpiece ($385) ouch! So. a G later and it's working perfectly.
live preview
enter atleast 1 characters
WARNING: You mentioned %MENTIONS%, but they cannot see this message and will not be notified
Saving...
Saved
With selected deselect posts show selected posts
All posts under this topic will be deleted ?
Pending draft ... Click to resume editing
Discard draft