SWAM
First thoughts - All in bundle

Anytime I get new software I always try to give the developers my first-time user experience. In this case, which is rare, I never used the software at all previous to purchase and bought on the strength of youtube reviews alone.

So in somewhat of an order of occurance:

1. On the downloads & licenses page, a 'download all' button would be great. It took me about 4 minutes to fully download the all-in bundle each pack at a time. I can understand the amount of effort to make registering them all quicker, but this part of it felt clunkier than it needs to be.
    Proposed solution: consider putting the download buttons and serial on the product page with all the products listed, even if it's small versions of the buttons, in addition to the full page.

2. This applies to the 1.5 new UI series plugins. Once I got the plugin installed and activated, I got the message about my controller. I'm using the Teccontrol 2. It took me a while to find the 'nebula' button for assigning Breath 2 instead of Expression 11. Replacing this with text that says 'MIDI' or a gear symbol would be far more effective. I first looked in 'expressivity' for somewhat obvious reasons, and then the rest of the tabs.

3. The dynamic range in the low end particularly on brass instruments (I am a trombone player, for context) seems to be cut short. I can't seem to start a note at a quiet enough volume. I've tried every setting; disabled the compressor, used breath control mode, set the attack sensitivity down, anything I could think of. I would describe the dynamic range of all the brass instruments as p-fff. My only guess is it has something to do with Hi Res MIDI but I tested sending it values like 20-30/16383 and no note played until around 350. But then I found a weirder thing which is if I set it lower then up to 350 I got nothing, but if I set it higher then down to 350 I could play notes forever. I need to see a detailed explaination (more than what the manual touches on) to understand this.
    Basically, I kept finding notes to cut out and not play when playing around with it, but the tone I was hearing didn't match that at all. On a real horn it's much easier to fade a note to nothing than to start it, sure. But with practice you can also fade in from nothing.
    For now, an ok compromise is to add some clamped MIDI mapping of expression to the volume control to extend the range of dynamics artificially.

4. Another trombone thing, legato playing on a slide allows you to get very clean transitions from note to note particularly if they are within a third or fourth. Example Bb to D in 1st position on a trombone is a very easy range of even a novice to get a clean legato, especially if it's dropping from one note to the other. I don't feel this is modeled especially well and the plugin's 'player' sounds like a 7th grader unsure of their notes. No offence smile
    This is even with the speed set to its lowest, dynamic resonance at lowest. It's great to be able to do the slidy trombone thing, but not at the expense of regular playing.

5. Also in the low range, there is too much breath tone even with it all the way off. Trumpet is more prone to this, it's a little more believeable. But trombones and french horns in particular can create quiet notes without as much sound as the plugin is making.

6. There's some glitchy notes in Auto Pipe selection mode, like going from B to Bb or A, or E to Eb (testing on Tenor Bass Trombone). It almost sounds like a classical 'turn'. Here's an audio example: https://vocaroo.com/1hcQGX0vFGTt
    I think this is because it is choosing only the 7th position E then transitioning to 3rd position triggered Eb, and likewise with above-the-staff B to Bb it's going from 7 to 1, which is absurd. Even if you did have to do it, you can move the slide fast enough or use 5th position to get Bb. I think this slide modeling is being a bit overzealous with it's 'realism' here. I'll be happy to demonstrate if you don't believe me. smile

7. Clicks sometimes at the start of notes. Need to ensure your playback engine always starts at the 0 crossing! This plagues so many plugins and makes for a lot of cleanup, I hope this addressed in updates.

Thanks for reading.

Anytime I get new software I always try to give the developers my first-time user experience. In this case, which is rare, I never used the software at all previous to purchase and bought on the strength of youtube reviews alone. So in somewhat of an order of occurance: 1. On the downloads & licenses page, a 'download all' button would be great. It took me about 4 minutes to fully download the all-in bundle each pack at a time. I can understand the amount of effort to make registering them all quicker, but this part of it felt clunkier than it needs to be. Proposed solution: consider putting the download buttons and serial on the product page with all the products listed, even if it's small versions of the buttons, in addition to the full page. 2. This applies to the 1.5 new UI series plugins. Once I got the plugin installed and activated, I got the message about my controller. I'm using the Teccontrol 2. It took me a while to find the 'nebula' button for assigning Breath 2 instead of Expression 11. Replacing this with text that says 'MIDI' or a gear symbol would be far more effective. I first looked in 'expressivity' for somewhat obvious reasons, and then the rest of the tabs. 3. The dynamic range in the low end particularly on brass instruments (I am a trombone player, for context) seems to be cut short. I can't seem to start a note at a quiet enough volume. I've tried every setting; disabled the compressor, used breath control mode, set the attack sensitivity down, anything I could think of. I would describe the dynamic range of all the brass instruments as p-fff. My only guess is it has something to do with Hi Res MIDI but I tested sending it values like 20-30/16383 and no note played until around 350. But then I found a weirder thing which is if I set it lower then up to 350 I got nothing, but if I set it higher then down to 350 I could play notes forever. I need to see a detailed explaination (more than what the manual touches on) to understand this. . Basically, I kept finding notes to cut out and not play when playing around with it, but the tone I was hearing didn't match that at all. On a real horn it's much easier to fade a note to nothing than to start it, sure. But with practice you can also fade in from nothing. . For now, an ok compromise is to add some clamped MIDI mapping of expression to the volume control to extend the range of dynamics artificially. 4. Another trombone thing, legato playing on a slide allows you to get very clean transitions from note to note particularly if they are within a third or fourth. Example Bb to D in 1st position on a trombone is a very easy range of even a novice to get a clean legato, especially if it's dropping from one note to the other. I don't feel this is modeled especially well and the plugin's 'player' sounds like a 7th grader unsure of their notes. No offence :D . This is even with the speed set to its lowest, dynamic resonance at lowest. It's great to be able to do the slidy trombone thing, but not at the expense of regular playing. 5. Also in the low range, there is too much breath tone even with it all the way off. Trumpet is more prone to this, it's a little more believeable. But trombones and french horns in particular can create quiet notes without as much sound as the plugin is making. 6. There's some glitchy notes in Auto Pipe selection mode, like going from B to Bb or A, or E to Eb (testing on Tenor Bass Trombone). It almost sounds like a classical 'turn'. Here's an audio example: https://vocaroo.com/1hcQGX0vFGTt . I think this is because it is choosing only the 7th position E then transitioning to 3rd position triggered Eb, and likewise with above-the-staff B to Bb it's going from 7 to 1, which is absurd. Even if you did have to do it, you can move the slide fast enough or use 5th position to get Bb. I think this slide modeling is being a bit overzealous with it's 'realism' here. I'll be happy to demonstrate if you don't believe me. :) 7. Clicks sometimes at the start of notes. Need to ensure your playback engine always starts at the 0 crossing! This plagues so many plugins and makes for a lot of cleanup, I hope this addressed in updates. Thanks for reading.
live preview
enter atleast 1 characters
WARNING: You mentioned %MENTIONS%, but they cannot see this message and will not be notified
Saving...
Saved
With selected deselect posts show selected posts
All posts under this topic will be deleted ?
Pending draft ... Click to resume editing
Discard draft