SWAM
Feature Request - Constant Hertz Detuning

A constant hertz (cycles per second) detuning feature would be very handy for SWAM strings when used in an ensemble.

This would solve a problem when using the current constant cents master tuning to detune multiple instruments in an ensemble. For example, a detuning of 15 cents can sound very good in the lower register of an instrument, but in the high register it will sound too extreme.

On the hand, a constant Hertz detuning of, for example 2 Hertz, will give a gentle beating of 2 cycles per second, no matter what register the instrument is playing in.

Other synthesizers, notable Kurzweil, have implemented constant Hertz detuning, and I know form experience that it works very well.

thank you
Bruno Degazio

A constant hertz (cycles per second) detuning feature would be very handy for SWAM strings when used in an ensemble. This would solve a problem when using the current constant cents master tuning to detune multiple instruments in an ensemble. For example, a detuning of 15 cents can sound very good in the lower register of an instrument, but in the high register it will sound too extreme. On the hand, a constant Hertz detuning of, for example 2 Hertz, will give a gentle beating of 2 cycles per second, no matter what register the instrument is playing in. Other synthesizers, notable Kurzweil, have implemented constant Hertz detuning, and I know form experience that it works very well. thank you Bruno Degazio

Seems to me very unnatural regarding the physics of a real instrument.
-Michael

Seems to me very unnatural regarding the physics of a real instrument. -Michael

@brunodegazio we are studying in depth the "ensemble matter", even with collaborations from Universities.
The behavior is much more complex than "cent detuning" vs "constant detuning".
You will see our results when we will release our String Ensembles at the end of 2021 smile

Best!

@brunodegazio we are studying in depth the "ensemble matter", even with collaborations from Universities. The behavior is much more complex than "cent detuning" vs "constant detuning". You will see our results when we will release our String Ensembles at the end of 2021 ;) Best!

End of 2021 ?!?!?!
Seems like a really complex matter smilesmilesmile
-Michael

End of 2021 ?!?!?! Seems like a really complex matter :) :( :) -Michael
edited Dec 11 '20 at 6:42 am

Seems like a really complex matter

@mschnell it is, indeed! As you may have guessed, we want to have full knowledge of the instruments, and related acoustic phenomena, we emulate ;-)

> Seems like a really complex matter @mschnell it is, indeed! As you may have guessed, we want to have full knowledge of the instruments, and related acoustic phenomena, we emulate ;-)
live preview
enter atleast 1 characters
WARNING: You mentioned %MENTIONS%, but they cannot see this message and will not be notified
Saving...
Saved
With selected deselect posts show selected posts
All posts under this topic will be deleted ?
Pending draft ... Click to resume editing
Discard draft