Solo Strings
How to get pizzicato on multiple open strings?

The question below is from an earlier post, but since I've had no response back about it, I thought I would bump it up again.

1. How to get pizzicato on multiple open strings (Cello)?

I have read the manual for every mention of "pizzicato", and it seems that the following settings wold be reasonable for the effect I want to achieve:

1. Play Mode - set to Pizzicato
  2. Pizz.Poly mode - set to Polyphonic
  3. Alt.Fingering - set to to "Nut and Open”.

While testing I also experimented with the following parameters:

1. Mono/Poly Mode - set to Dual-Hold (also tried the other values to no avail.)
  2. Preferred Strings - set to the pair of strings I want to be played open.

But the fingering algorithm always insists on playing at least one of the notes stopped (often both notes are stopped). In fact, it seems very difficult to get the instrument to play an open string pizzicato under any conditions. Or am I missing something important?

This was also a problem in v2, but because the enhanced pizzicato mode was advertised as a major new feature in v3, I assumed this restriction was overcome.

thanks in advance for any help

The question below is from an earlier post, but since I've had no response back about it, I thought I would bump it up again. **1. How to get pizzicato on multiple open strings (Cello)? ** I have read the manual for every mention of "pizzicato", and it seems that the following settings wold be reasonable for the effect I want to achieve: 1. Play Mode - set to Pizzicato 2. Pizz.Poly mode - set to Polyphonic 3. Alt.Fingering - set to to "Nut and Open”. While testing I also experimented with the following parameters: 4. Mono/Poly Mode - set to Dual-Hold (also tried the other values to no avail.) 5. Preferred Strings - set to the pair of strings I want to be played open. But the fingering algorithm always insists on playing at least one of the notes stopped (often both notes are stopped). In fact, it seems very difficult to get the instrument to play an open string pizzicato under any conditions. Or am I missing something important? This was also a problem in v2, but because the enhanced pizzicato mode was advertised as a major new feature in v3, I assumed this restriction was overcome. thanks in advance for any help
edited Apr 12 at 5:25 pm

After a bit of experimentation, I have found that the best way to get a pizzicato chord using multiple open strings is to use the Sustain Pedal and avoid overlapped notes. If the chord is played with any overlapped notes, the fingering algorithm will play the second note of the overlap as a fingered note on the same string as the first note, effectively muting the first note. The UI reflects this by showing the note as a "Hammer-On". This is no doubt useful in some playing situations, but is not what we want if just strumming a chord across several strings.

There seems to be no mention of this technique in the manual, so I thought I'd document it here.

The procedure to play an open-string strum is:

1. Play Mode - set to Pizzicato
  2. Pizz.Poly mode - set to Polyphonic
  3. Alt.Fingering - set to to "Nut and Open”.
  4. Press Sustain pedal.
  5. Play the desired open strings, staccato.

Bruno

After a bit of experimentation, I have found that the best way to get a pizzicato chord using multiple open strings is to use the Sustain Pedal and _avoid_ overlapped notes. If the chord is played with any overlapped notes, the fingering algorithm will play the second note of the overlap as a fingered note on the same string as the first note, effectively muting the first note. The UI reflects this by showing the note as a "Hammer-On". This is no doubt useful in some playing situations, but is not what we want if just strumming a chord across several strings. There seems to be no mention of this technique in the manual, so I thought I'd document it here. The procedure to play an open-string strum is: 1. Play Mode - set to Pizzicato 2. Pizz.Poly mode - set to Polyphonic 3. Alt.Fingering - set to to "Nut and Open”. 4. Press Sustain pedal. 5. Play the desired open strings, **_staccato_**. Bruno

@brunodegazio I'm sorry if we haven't replied before. I oversight your message.

You did the right thing, we will add the description of this technique to the User Manual

@brunodegazio I'm sorry if we haven't replied before. I oversight your message. You did the right thing, we will add the description of this technique to the User Manual
live preview
enter atleast 1 characters
WARNING: You mentioned %MENTIONS%, but they cannot see this message and will not be notified
Saving...
Saved
With selected deselect posts show selected posts
All posts under this topic will be deleted ?
Pending draft ... Click to resume editing
Discard draft