SWAM
Audiomodeling instruments and the new MIDI 2

I just read the following pages about MIDI 2

https://www.midi.org/midi-articles/details-about-midi-2-0-midi-ci-profiles-and-property-exchange

Lots of great new improvements to intercompatibilty, more accurate output, and far larger dynamic range are promised when hardware and software are all capable of working with MIDI 2. Also, MIDI 2 is promised backward compatibility with MIDI 1.0

I still have a lot of questions, but one thing is clear -hardware will need firmware updates to utilize MIDI 2.

So my question, which everyone who enjoys using the wonderful AudioModeling virtual instruments will want to know, is what the road looks like for implementing MIDI 2?

Is it a huge task that will take lots effort ? Do you have any estimates of when it will be available?

Thanks,

Dan

I just read the following pages about MIDI 2 https://www.midi.org/midi-articles/details-about-midi-2-0-midi-ci-profiles-and-property-exchange Lots of great new improvements to intercompatibilty, more accurate output, and far larger dynamic range are promised when hardware and software are all capable of working with MIDI 2. Also, MIDI 2 is promised backward compatibility with MIDI 1.0 I still have a lot of questions, but one thing is clear -hardware will need firmware updates to utilize MIDI 2. So my question, which everyone who enjoys using the wonderful AudioModeling virtual instruments will want to know, is what the road looks like for implementing MIDI 2? Is it a huge task that will take lots effort ? Do you have any estimates of when it will be available? Thanks, Dan

While Midi 2.x of course is a fantastic thing, higher dynamic resolution already is possible with HR CC in Midi 1.x. But there seems to be close to no BC hardware nor sound software making use of it smile
-Michael

While Midi 2.x of course is a fantastic thing, higher dynamic resolution already is possible with HR CC in Midi 1.x. But there seems to be close to no BC hardware nor sound software making use of it :( -Michael

Hi @dstong !
Audio Modeling is part of MMA (MIDI Manufacturers Association) since 2017, and is playing an active role in the definition of MIDI 2.0 details.
Currently we are mainly contributing in the definition of the “Orchestral Articulations Profile”.
Our developers have already created a C++ library for our internal use that supports basic MIDI 2.0 features (C++ is the development language we use for all our products).
This library will be extended and included in all our products.
Moreover all our developers are attending the first course dedicated to the MIDI 2.0 development, offered by Music Hackspace.
We are all waiting not only for new devices or firmware updates, but mainly we are waiting for implementation of MIDI 2.0 in the most popular Operating Systems. Both Apple and Microsoft are part of the MMA, so they are going to include MIDI 2.0 in macOS and Windows, we just don’t know when.

In conclusion: MIDI 2.0 is something that is going to explode within a year or so, be prepared!

Hi @dstong ! Audio Modeling is part of MMA (MIDI Manufacturers Association) since 2017, and is playing an active role in the definition of MIDI 2.0 details. Currently we are mainly contributing in the definition of the “Orchestral Articulations Profile”. Our developers have already created a C++ library for our internal use that supports basic MIDI 2.0 features (C++ is the development language we use for all our products). This library will be extended and included in all our products. Moreover all our developers are attending the first course dedicated to the MIDI 2.0 development, offered by Music Hackspace. We are all waiting not only for new devices or firmware updates, but mainly we are waiting for implementation of MIDI 2.0 in the most popular Operating Systems. Both Apple and Microsoft are part of the MMA, so they are going to include MIDI 2.0 in macOS and Windows, we just don’t know when. In conclusion: MIDI 2.0 is something that is going to explode within a year or so, be prepared!
live preview
enter atleast 1 characters
WARNING: You mentioned %MENTIONS%, but they cannot see this message and will not be notified
Saving...
Saved
With selected deselect posts show selected posts
All posts under this topic will be deleted ?
Pending draft ... Click to resume editing
Discard draft