Solo Strings
SWAM v3 STILL not giving wind controller players minimum volume threshold

Hi @admin
Whilst I bought the SWAM v3 strings (Violin, Viola, Cello) months ago, today was the first chance I've had to try and configure these instruments to approximate what I've got with SWAM v2. And I was so disappointed to discover that the same minimum volume threshold issue with wind controllers is STILL there, even though I spent hours today experimenting with different configuration options. Thus far, the only way I can get a proper minimum threshold is by using the same CC2 > Main Volume workaround I described in previous posts last year.

I've looked back at the previous threads where I raised this issue with SWAM v3 Brass and SWAM 2 Woodwinds and Lele recommended that I adjust the minimum input parameter for the Expression control curve....but this just does NOT achieve the desired result. There is still quite an abrupt cutoff when the minimum CC2 level is reached and notes cease to sound.

I am SO frustrated with this situation and really don't want to use CC2 > Main Volume but there is simply no way to reduce the minimum volume any lower unless this workaround is used.

Any suggestions?

Cheers
Gary

Hi @admin Whilst I bought the SWAM v3 strings (Violin, Viola, Cello) months ago, today was the first chance I've had to try and configure these instruments to approximate what I've got with SWAM v2. And I was so disappointed to discover that the same minimum volume threshold issue with wind controllers is STILL there, even though I spent hours today experimenting with different configuration options. Thus far, the only way I can get a proper minimum threshold is by using the same CC2 > Main Volume workaround I described in previous posts last year. I've looked back at the previous threads where I raised this issue with SWAM v3 Brass and SWAM 2 Woodwinds and Lele recommended that I adjust the minimum input parameter for the Expression control curve....but this just does NOT achieve the desired result. There is still quite an abrupt cutoff when the minimum CC2 level is reached and notes cease to sound. I am SO frustrated with this situation and really don't want to use CC2 > Main Volume but there is simply no way to reduce the minimum volume any lower unless this workaround is used. Any suggestions? Cheers Gary
edited Jul 15 at 7:15 am

With string instruments, it might be an idea to use/do do a midi preprocessor plugin that maps expression values to volume and expression values in a decent way (as strings in the low expression range seem to change more in volume than in sound).
I use the Flutes, and with real flutes the very low sound is just a hiss, so that trick will not work, and I did not try it.
-Michael

With string instruments, it might be an idea to use/do do a midi preprocessor plugin that maps expression values to volume and expression values in a decent way (as strings in the low expression range seem to change more in volume than in sound). I use the Flutes, and with real flutes the very low sound is just a hiss, so that trick will not work, and I did not try it. -Michael

@mschnell
I’ll try that but the point is that I shouldn’t have to be using workarounds. Why aren’t SWAM products able to give minimum volumes to wind controller players??

@mschnell I’ll try that but the point is that I shouldn’t have to be using workarounds. Why aren’t SWAM products able to give minimum volumes to wind controller players??
edited Jul 15 at 4:06 pm

@Maddcow

As for the attack, fade from nothing does not exist in real Solo Strings instruments.
If you have experienced a different result with sample libraries, they are probably making a (fake) fade-in or using breath to multiply the sample signal (volume).
In any case, if you feel that the attack step is too abrupt, I'm wondering if your volume is too high, or if you are using an external compressor that emphasizes lowest dynamics.

As for the release, firstly you must remember that:
1) a Wind Controllers send a Note-Off when the Expression (Breath) is already close to zero
2) in SWAM, Expression (Breath) controls the Bow Speed, not volume.
3) Note-Off triggers the removal if the bow from the string, and hence the beginning of the release phase (i.e. the string is still vibrating but loosing its energy: decaying sound) - Note: this is true if "Bow Lift" parameter is set to "Off String", otherwise the bow stops on the string, blocking its vibration immediately at Note-Off

Once you get those facts, you understand that it's basically impossible to generate a real release with Wind Controllers, as the Bow Speed (Expression) decreases and stops just BEFORE the Note-Off, avoiding the removal of the bow from the string before the release phase. UNFORTUNATELY THAT'S AN ISSUE THAT IS STRONGLY CONNECTED ON HOW WIND CONTROLLERS WORK.

We have tried to do a workaround: if you stop breathing very quickly when Expression is still high, SWAM intercepts this condition and generates a release a bit before the Wind Controller triggers a Note-Off. In any case this cannot work when trying to fading out slowly.

Hope this clarifies why that so-called "issue" is still there.

@Maddcow As for the **attack**, fade from nothing does not exist in real Solo Strings instruments. If you have experienced a different result with sample libraries, they are probably making a (fake) fade-in or using breath to multiply the sample signal (volume). In any case, if you feel that the attack step is too abrupt, I'm wondering if your volume is too high, or if you are using an external compressor that emphasizes lowest dynamics. As for the **release**, firstly you must remember that: 1) a Wind Controllers send a Note-Off when the Expression (Breath) is already close to zero 2) in SWAM, Expression (Breath) controls the Bow Speed, not volume. 3) Note-Off triggers the removal if the bow from the string, and hence the beginning of the release phase (i.e. the string is still vibrating but loosing its energy: decaying sound) - Note: this is true if "Bow Lift" parameter is set to "Off String", otherwise the bow stops on the string, blocking its vibration immediately at Note-Off Once you get those facts, you understand that it's basically impossible to generate a real release with Wind Controllers, as the Bow Speed (Expression) decreases and stops just BEFORE the Note-Off, avoiding the removal of the bow from the string before the release phase. **UNFORTUNATELY THAT'S AN ISSUE THAT IS STRONGLY CONNECTED ON HOW WIND CONTROLLERS WORK**. We have tried to do a workaround: if you stop breathing very quickly when Expression is still high, SWAM intercepts this condition and generates a release a bit before the Wind Controller triggers a Note-Off. In any case this cannot work when trying to fading out slowly. Hope this clarifies why that so-called "issue" is still there.
live preview
enter atleast 1 characters
WARNING: You mentioned %MENTIONS%, but they cannot see this message and will not be notified
Saving...
Saved
With selected deselect posts show selected posts
All posts under this topic will be deleted ?
Pending draft ... Click to resume editing
Discard draft