SWAM
Attack control of SWAM instruments with electronic Wind instruments.

There has been some discussion on this forum about the problem of attack control with wind controllers such as the AKAI EWI and Yamaha WX-5. (Sorry, I cannot find the previous thread at the moment, so I'm posting to this general thread.)

I'd like to let other SWAM wind-players know that the new Roland Aerophone Pro AE-30 seems to have completely solved the problem of producing accurate and controllable note attacks via tonguing. It is now easy (with a little practice) to produce a complete range of note-velocities from low to high. If you have your SWAM instrument set to respond to "Velocity Hard" this can produce the full range of onset speed and character from slow&smooth to fast&aggressive. It works beautifully with all the SWAM instruments that I've tried so far.

The breath response on the AE30 following the attack is also very smooth and controllable, especially at the pp end of the dynamic range.

Another feature of the AE30 that works really nicely with the SWAM instruments is that the breath control can output multiple MIDI messages. For example when playing the SWAM Clarinet I have the AE30 set to output cc02 (expression), cc03 (formant) and cc40 (breath noise) simultaneously. The result is very dynamic and natural.

There has been some discussion on this forum about the problem of attack control with wind controllers such as the AKAI EWI and Yamaha WX-5. (Sorry, I cannot find the previous thread at the moment, so I'm posting to this general thread.) I'd like to let other SWAM wind-players know that the new Roland Aerophone Pro AE-30 seems to have completely solved the problem of producing accurate and controllable note attacks via tonguing. It is now easy (with a little practice) to produce a complete range of note-velocities from low to high. If you have your SWAM instrument set to respond to "Velocity Hard" this can produce the full range of onset speed and character from slow&smooth to fast&aggressive. It works beautifully with all the SWAM instruments that I've tried so far. The breath response on the AE30 following the attack is also very smooth and controllable, especially at the pp end of the dynamic range. Another feature of the AE30 that works really nicely with the SWAM instruments is that the breath control can output multiple MIDI messages. For example when playing the SWAM Clarinet I have the AE30 set to output cc02 (expression), cc03 (formant) and cc40 (breath noise) simultaneously. The result is very dynamic and natural.
live preview
enter atleast 1 characters
WARNING: You mentioned %MENTIONS%, but they cannot see this message and will not be notified
Saving...
Saved
With selected deselect posts show selected posts
All posts under this topic will be deleted ?
Pending draft ... Click to resume editing
Discard draft