SWAM
14-bit MIDI CCs

It's very exciting to see 14-bit CC support in all the V3 instruments - thanks!

However, there are problems with the spec for 14-bit MIDI in that it says that when a MSB is received, the LSB should be presumed 0. Because the MSB+LSB cannot be sent atomically, interpreting this strictly can lead to glitches. For example, if you are transitioning down from MSB 40 LSB 10 to MSB 39 LSB 70, if the messages are received in that order and the spec strictly interpreted, when MSB 39 is received the effective value will be 39/0, below the target, only to go up to the target when the LSB arrives.

In practice, 14-bit MIDI applications have expectations and interpretations of the data that preclude this glitching. They can include: a) always expecting both MSB and LSB messages and not changing value until both are received, or b) expecting LSB first, and only if LSB was not seen before MSB presume LSB 0 etc.

What's the best way to send 14-bit CC data to SWAM instruments that avoids this glitching?

It's very exciting to see 14-bit CC support in all the V3 instruments - thanks! However, there are problems with the spec for 14-bit MIDI in that it says that when a MSB is received, the LSB should be presumed 0. Because the MSB+LSB cannot be sent atomically, interpreting this strictly can lead to glitches. For example, if you are transitioning down from MSB 40 LSB 10 to MSB 39 LSB 70, if the messages are received in that order and the spec strictly interpreted, when MSB 39 is received the effective value will be 39/0, below the target, only to go up to the target when the LSB arrives. In practice, 14-bit MIDI applications have expectations and interpretations of the data that preclude this glitching. They can include: a) always expecting both MSB and LSB messages and not changing value until both are received, or b) expecting LSB first, and only if LSB was not seen before MSB presume LSB 0 etc. What's the best way to send 14-bit CC data to SWAM instruments that avoids this glitching?

The reason for this spec is that High R CC should be compatible with low resolution CC which only sends the MSB
Moreover AFAIK, it's allowed to send only LSB if the MSB does not change.
Hence I assume that the receiver will hold off some appropriate amount of time after receiving MSB to allow for LSB to arrive.
Up til now, used High Res CC only within Reaper, and hence the time lag between the messages is extremely short.

P.S.: Given the instrument allows for High Res CC it would be great if the appropriate controllers (I use a TEC BBCv2) would be able to send it ! I hope AudioModeling will contacz the controller maker companies on that behalf !

-Michael

The reason for this spec is that High R CC should be compatible with low resolution CC which only sends the MSB Moreover AFAIK, it's allowed to send only LSB if the MSB does not change. Hence I assume that the receiver will hold off some appropriate amount of time after receiving MSB to allow for LSB to arrive. Up til now, used High Res CC only within Reaper, and hence the time lag between the messages is extremely short. P.S.: Given the instrument allows for High Res CC it would be great if the appropriate controllers (I use a TEC BBCv2) would be able to send it ! I hope AudioModeling will contacz the controller maker companies on that behalf ! -Michael
live preview
enter atleast 1 characters
WARNING: You mentioned %MENTIONS%, but they cannot see this message and will not be notified
Saving...
Saved
With selected deselect posts show selected posts
All posts under this topic will be deleted ?
Pending draft ... Click to resume editing
Discard draft