SWAM
License Activation on up to 3 Computers
Poll Result: Would you prefer to have three activations for SWAM Instruments?
YES - that would be very useful!
5 votes
100%
NO - two is enough for my production workflow
0 votes
0%

Hi Team and other members of the community.

This is my first post, in this and any music related community. I, first of all, wanted to say that I have just bought both the Solo Woodwinds and Solo Strings bundles, and I am absolutely in love with these instruments! I got my introduction to SWAM instruments via the Roli Noise app for iOS, and as soon as I realized that these were available for desktop computer DAWs, I couldn't them. You are doing an amazing job and I can't way to see the other offerings you have planned.

At this point, I have one issue and request that I'd like to raise, and by all means, I invite other members to chime in with your own thoughts on this topic. I've also added a poll, so you can cast your own vote.

Sorry if I speak out of place, but I wanted to ask that the people at Audio Modeling consider increasing the number of computers that the SWAM instruments can be activated on to three. I have many plugins that I have bought over the years, and almost all of them allow for up to three activations. Partly because of this, I have built a workflow that involved three computers.

I often work on a laptop to enable me to stay near the family at weekends and evenings, and in my studio, I have an iMac at my music workstation, with keyboards and other MIDI devices attached, and this is where I do most of my work. But then, when I have all the parts in place, and I am ready to finesse and master my tracks, I move to a third more powerful iMac Pro. I spend probably equal amounts of time on all three computers.

As it stands, I see myself having to deactivate my SWAM instruments on one of the other computers every time I come to finalize a track, but this is a somewhat painful process and is not necessary for any of my other plugins, which either have a limit of three activations or one activation for a computer and a second activation for an iLok. That works for me too, as I can move the iLok between my iMacs. I don't need to be able to use the machines simultaneously.

Anyway, I think you get the picture. If anyone else would like to see this, case your vote in the poll, and either way, it would probably help to reply with your reasoning for either a positive or negative vote.

Hi Team and other members of the community. This is my first post, in this and any music related community. I, first of all, wanted to say that I have just bought both the Solo Woodwinds and Solo Strings bundles, and I am absolutely in love with these instruments! I got my introduction to SWAM instruments via the Roli Noise app for iOS, and as soon as I realized that these were available for desktop computer DAWs, I couldn't them. You are doing an amazing job and I can't way to see the other offerings you have planned. At this point, I have one issue and request that I'd like to raise, and by all means, I invite other members to chime in with your own thoughts on this topic. I've also added a poll, so you can cast your own vote. Sorry if I speak out of place, but I wanted to ask that the people at Audio Modeling consider increasing the number of computers that the SWAM instruments can be activated on to three. I have many plugins that I have bought over the years, and almost all of them allow for up to three activations. Partly because of this, I have built a workflow that involved three computers. I often work on a laptop to enable me to stay near the family at weekends and evenings, and in my studio, I have an iMac at my music workstation, with keyboards and other MIDI devices attached, and this is where I do most of my work. But then, when I have all the parts in place, and I am ready to finesse and master my tracks, I move to a third more powerful iMac Pro. I spend probably equal amounts of time on all three computers. As it stands, I see myself having to deactivate my SWAM instruments on one of the other computers every time I come to finalize a track, but this is a somewhat painful process and is not necessary for any of my other plugins, which either have a limit of three activations or one activation for a computer and a second activation for an iLok. That works for me too, as I can move the iLok between my iMacs. I don't need to be able to use the machines simultaneously. Anyway, I think you get the picture. If anyone else would like to see this, case your vote in the poll, and either way, it would probably help to reply with your reasoning for either a positive or negative vote.
edited Oct 26 '18 at 6:45 am

I would agree, I think at least three activations makes sense for users who work with multiple computers (I work with three, myself).

I would agree, I think at least three activations makes sense for users who work with multiple computers (I work with three, myself).

@MartinBailey thanks for opening this topic.

We understand the need of having more than two activations at the same time.

Anyway, there are some issues that are difficult to address:

1. we should increase the number of activations for any customer, even the ones who bought SWAM years ago, when the license management was different: we provided two keys at that time, as each key allowed for just one activation. Maybe feasible, but not straightforward to implement and manage.

2. as you may know, we offer additional licenses at 50%. Some customers have bought such additional license. If we increase the number of activations for free, we should refund those customers. This is not straightforward too for several reasons: we cannot refund directly (from our transaction portal FastSpring) orders that are older than six months, we cannot refund purchases that have been made through Samplemodeling in the past.

What I can say is that we are developing version 3 of our products. They will have a smarter authorization mechanism: just enter your username/password, without the need to type any key. The system will check for the authorization and will unlock the plugin.

This is not the same as having three simultaneous activations, but it will be much less annoying than typing each key.

@MartinBailey thanks for opening this topic. We understand the need of having more than two activations at the same time. Anyway, there are some issues that are difficult to address: 1. we should increase the number of activations for any customer, even the ones who bought SWAM years ago, when the license management was different: we provided two keys at that time, as each key allowed for just one activation. Maybe feasible, but not straightforward to implement and manage. 2. as you may know, we offer additional licenses at 50%. Some customers have bought such additional license. If we increase the number of activations for free, we should refund those customers. This is not straightforward too for several reasons: we cannot refund directly (from our transaction portal FastSpring) orders that are older than six months, we cannot refund purchases that have been made through Samplemodeling in the past. What I can say is that we are developing version 3 of our products. They will have a smarter authorization mechanism: just enter your username/password, without the need to type any key. The system will check for the authorization and will unlock the plugin. This is not the same as having three simultaneous activations, but it will be much less annoying than typing each key.

Thanks for the reply and explanation admin.

While I appreciate the difficulties you face, I think the price of your plugins is significant enough that asking extra money for a single user to use them on a third machine was a mistake in the first place. I have bought extra licenses for plugins that are under $100 because it's less of an issue at that price, but all of the other plugins that I use that are even half the price of yours allow me three activations. You guys are the exception, so I hope that you will continue to consider how to best serve your customers, giving them the freedom to work in a realistic way, while making the profit you require to remain viable as a business.

Your version 3 updates do seem like a good time to change your licensing policy, although I do hope your software doesn't completely rely on having an internet connection. I compose music sometimes in remote locations, and it would mess me up completely if I couldn't even start your plugins without Internet access. So, I guess my request with regards to this is if you are going to use a "smarter" authorization mechanism, please ensure that it's smart enough to cache authorizations for a while, to give your customers a window to use your products while traveling. In an ideal world, it would seek authorization in the background even without opening the plugins, so that users don't have to remember to open them before a trip or while in pockets of Internet access.

Regarding your last sentence, it's fine to not be able to use your plugins simultaneously. I'd rather be able to install your plugins on many computers, and just have it check that it's not running on another machine when I start it up. Of course, this is more difficult to track if you do have some sort of authorization caching enabled to keep people working while offline, but at some point, they have to get back to your authorization servers, so you should still be able to avoid piracy, at least as much as you are now.

Sorry for being so demanding, but as I said in my original post, I love your products. I just would really like the freedom to use them the same as the other plugins I use.

Regards,
Martin Bailey.

Thanks for the reply and explanation admin. While I appreciate the difficulties you face, I think the price of your plugins is significant enough that asking extra money for a single user to use them on a third machine was a mistake in the first place. I have bought extra licenses for plugins that are under $100 because it's less of an issue at that price, but all of the other plugins that I use that are even half the price of yours allow me three activations. You guys are the exception, so I hope that you will continue to consider how to best serve your customers, giving them the freedom to work in a realistic way, while making the profit you require to remain viable as a business. Your version 3 updates do seem like a good time to change your licensing policy, although I do hope your software doesn't completely rely on having an internet connection. I compose music sometimes in remote locations, and it would mess me up completely if I couldn't even start your plugins without Internet access. So, I guess my request with regards to this is if you are going to use a "smarter" authorization mechanism, please ensure that it's smart enough to cache authorizations for a while, to give your customers a window to use your products while traveling. In an ideal world, it would seek authorization in the background even without opening the plugins, so that users don't have to remember to open them before a trip or while in pockets of Internet access. Regarding your last sentence, it's fine to not be able to use your plugins simultaneously. I'd rather be able to install your plugins on many computers, and just have it check that it's not running on another machine when I start it up. Of course, this is more difficult to track if you do have some sort of authorization caching enabled to keep people working while offline, but at some point, they have to get back to your authorization servers, so you should still be able to avoid piracy, at least as much as you are now. Sorry for being so demanding, but as I said in my original post, I love your products. I just would really like the freedom to use them the same as the other plugins I use. Regards, Martin Bailey.

@MartinBailey thanks for your reply.

I can assure that we take care of our customer and the way the work. We will do our best to improve our licensing scheme, trying to do not disappoint anyone.

The authorization mechanism is already working offline, you do not need to be connected to the Internet when using SWAM after an online authorization.
Moreover, we offer an offline authorization, for ones that never connect to the Internet.

Best!

@MartinBailey thanks for your reply. I can assure that we take care of our customer and the way the work. We will do our best to improve our licensing scheme, trying to do not disappoint anyone. The authorization mechanism is already working offline, you do not need to be connected to the Internet when using SWAM after an online authorization. Moreover, we offer an offline authorization, for ones that never connect to the Internet. Best!

Just to clarify, I'm talking about the new Smarter authorization mechanism that you mentioned for version 3.

You said:
Just enter your username/password, without the need to type any key. The system will check for the authorization and will unlock the plugin.

That sounds like a connection is required.

Just to clarify, I'm talking about the new Smarter authorization mechanism that you mentioned for version 3. You said: Just enter your username/password, without the need to type any key. The system will check for the authorization and will unlock the plugin. That sounds like a connection is required.

It will behave exactly as the current system, with the difference that - instead of typing a different license key for each product - you will type the username / password just FOR THE ACTIVATION.

Then you will be able to work offline.

Best!

It will behave exactly as the current system, with the difference that - instead of typing a different license key for each product - you will type the username / password just FOR THE ACTIVATION. Then you will be able to work offline. Best!

I see. I don't type the licenses anyway. I have them stored in my password manager so typing is not an issue for me. The issue is having to deactivate and reactivate every time I move to a third computer. As I said your software is the only software that I use that requires this, so I hope you'll still consider increasing this to three.

I see. I don't type the licenses anyway. I have them stored in my password manager so typing is not an issue for me. The issue is having to deactivate and reactivate every time I move to a third computer. As I said your software is the only software that I use that requires this, so I hope you'll still consider increasing this to three.

Hi @MartinBailey

Audio Modeling is happy to give to all its user a big gift...
We have doubled the activations for your SWAM products!

Now you can authorize SWAM on up to 4 devices at the same time!

Here the full news: https://mailchi.mp/37c7097ab868/a-real-gift-for-youmerry-christmas-from-audio-modeling

With our best wishes, Merry Christmas and Happy New Year!

Audio Modeling team

Hi @MartinBailey Audio Modeling is happy to give to all its user a big gift... We have doubled the activations for your SWAM products! Now you can authorize SWAM on **up to 4 devices** at the same time! Here the full news: https://mailchi.mp/37c7097ab868/a-real-gift-for-youmerry-christmas-from-audio-modeling With our best wishes, Merry Christmas and Happy New Year! _Audio Modeling team_

This is absolutely wonderful news!

As I feared, I've been shying away from using your instruments because it's a pain to deactivate a license before moving to my main computer on which I do my mastering.

This is going to enable me to use your amazing instruments as much as I wanted to when I bought them.

Thank you, team! This really is a wonderful Christmas present! smile

Regards,
Martin.

This is absolutely wonderful news! As I feared, I've been shying away from using your instruments because it's a pain to deactivate a license before moving to my main computer on which I do my mastering. This is going to enable me to use your amazing instruments as much as I wanted to when I bought them. Thank you, team! This really is a wonderful Christmas present! :) Regards, Martin.

This is great news! Thank you so much, AM Team. Happy New Year!

This is great news! Thank you so much, AM Team. Happy New Year!
live preview
enter atleast 1 characters
WARNING: You mentioned %MENTIONS%, but they cannot see this message and will not be notified
Saving...
Saved
With selected deselect posts show selected posts
All posts under this topic will be deleted ?
Pending draft ... Click to resume editing
Discard draft