SWAM
SWAM and ROLI seabord

I am considering to buy a Seaboard Rise 49 to use with my SWAM Flute and Cello. I found that the new versions already do have A Seaboard default parameter setting.

I suppose I need to set the channel to "All" in SWAM or the voice channel count to 1 in the Seaboard to allow for the SWAM engine to decently detect legato via overlapping notes. Correct ?

OTOH I found a video with two SWAM Celli being played together obviously on different channels (voice channel count = 2) and nonetheless legato seems to work perfectly. How is this done ? Unfortunately he does not do trills -> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6rbEMfWHDOY

BTW what exactly are the different transition modes with Flute and Cello and how exactly are they selected from the incoming midi stream ?

Thanks,
-Michael

I am considering to buy a Seaboard Rise 49 to use with my SWAM Flute and Cello. I found that the new versions already do have A Seaboard default parameter setting. I suppose I need to set the channel to "All" in SWAM or the voice channel count to 1 in the Seaboard to allow for the SWAM engine to decently detect legato via overlapping notes. Correct ? OTOH I found a video with two SWAM Celli being played together obviously on different channels (voice channel count = 2) and nonetheless legato seems to work perfectly. How is this done ? Unfortunately he does not do trills -> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6rbEMfWHDOY . BTW what exactly are the different transition modes with Flute and Cello and how exactly are they selected from the incoming midi stream ? Thanks, -Michael
edited Nov 5 '18 at 8:32 pm

@mschnell as you know, we always try to optimize the configuration of our instruments so that they play reasonably well "out-of-the-box" when connecting a MIDI controller.
With the Seaboard, you do not need to change anything. Just let the Seaboard in MPE / multi-channel mode, with per-note-pitch-bend set to 48 semitones.
Open the SWAM instrument and load the Default Seaboard controller. That's it.

I warn that you need to practice a lot with the Seaboard. Legato is a bit harder to obtain because you need to control carefully the pressure on both the old and the new note. As the expression always starts from zero when you hit a new note, you need to be fast enough in hitting the new note, but not so fast otherwise you get a "bump" in the expression. Trills are very difficult to obtain, without practice.

Best!

@mschnell as you know, we always try to optimize the configuration of our instruments so that they play reasonably well "out-of-the-box" when connecting a MIDI controller. With the Seaboard, you do not need to change anything. Just let the Seaboard in MPE / multi-channel mode, with per-note-pitch-bend set to 48 semitones. Open the SWAM instrument and load the Default Seaboard controller. That's it. I warn that you need to practice a lot with the Seaboard. Legato is a bit harder to obtain because you need to control carefully the pressure on both the old and the new note. As the expression always starts from zero when you hit a new note, you need to be fast enough in hitting the new note, but not so fast otherwise you get a "bump" in the expression. Trills are very difficult to obtain, without practice. Best!

Thanks for the very decent reply !

It's a shame that trill is hard to do with the ROLI smile

-Michael

Thanks for the very decent reply ! It's a shame that trill is hard to do with the ROLI :( -Michael
edited Nov 6 '18 at 5:25 pm

While I found very impressive videos with e.g. the SWAM Flute played just by a Roli (great: Note-off velocity behavior), I might try to use the Roli together wits my Breath controller on the Flute.

The problems you describe seem to result from not easily finding the correct pressure when hitting the target key. I understand the warning very well.

But you don't mention any problem that the SAWM instruments correctly detects the legato mode from staccato. Really no problem here ? Even with two SWAM instances used at the same time as in the video with the two Celli ? Or here -> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=krlQIHD1YmE

-Michael

While I found very impressive videos with e.g. the SWAM Flute played just by a Roli (great: Note-off velocity behavior), I might try to use the Roli together wits my Breath controller on the Flute. The problems you describe seem to result from not easily finding the correct pressure when hitting the target key. I understand the warning very well. But you don't mention any problem that the SAWM instruments correctly detects the legato mode from staccato. Really no problem here ? Even with two SWAM instances used at the same time as in the video with the two Celli ? Or here -> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=krlQIHD1YmE -Michael
edited Nov 6 '18 at 10:04 pm

@mschnell what legato vs staccato problem are you speaking about? We have never had reports about this issue.

BTW: what "two Celli" video are you mentioning?

@mschnell what legato vs staccato problem are you speaking about? We have never had reports about this issue. BTW: what "two Celli" video are you mentioning?

Video: See five messages above.

legato vs staccato problem:
when doing MPE Midi, each new key press gets a new Midi channel. Hence the two notes (previous and target) are on different channels. If you only use a single sound plugin, same might just use all channels so it can detect legato by recognizing overlapping notes. But if you use two (or more) instances of a sound engine - like in the two Celli video - , you somehow need to distribute the channels to the sound engine instances. Here I don't understand the magic that allows for having the sound engines tell the affiliated previous and target notes from notes to be played separately by the other instance(s).

-Michael

Video: See five messages above. legato vs staccato problem: when doing MPE Midi, each new key press gets a new Midi channel. Hence the two notes (previous and target) are on different channels. If you only use a single sound plugin, same might just use all channels so it can detect legato by recognizing overlapping notes. But if you use two (or more) instances of a sound engine - like in the two Celli video - , you somehow need to distribute the channels to the sound engine instances. Here I don't understand the magic that allows for having the sound engines tell the affiliated previous and target notes from notes to be played separately by the other instance(s). -Michael
edited Nov 7 '18 at 5:48 pm

@mschnell in SWAM we have already implemented and take care of the multi-channel management story.
You do not need many instances of SWAM, just one instance driven by all channels sent by the MPE device. It's important that SWAM receives on ALL the MIDI channels.
SWAM tracks the gestures on the latest note and smooths the transitions from the previous note. Anyway, the smoothing cannot be too slow, otherwise the instruments is unresponsive.

Legato vs staccato works as on a normal keyboard. Just need practice to hit the new note with the right velocity/pressure.

Best!

@mschnell in SWAM we have already implemented and take care of the multi-channel management story. You do not need many instances of SWAM, just one instance driven by all channels sent by the MPE device. It's important that SWAM receives on ALL the MIDI channels. SWAM tracks the gestures on the latest note and smooths the transitions from the previous note. Anyway, the smoothing cannot be too slow, otherwise the instruments is unresponsive. Legato vs staccato works as on a normal keyboard. Just need practice to hit the new note with the right velocity/pressure. Best!

Thanks for your comments, but this does not explain how the setup in the "two-Celli" video (visibly two instances of the Cello) works. If they don't use additional software tools, the instances can't be set to all channels, but each to a dedicated one, and the Seaboard set to some dual channel mode.

Looking forward to try all this once I get a Seaboard ....

Then I'll be back with decent comments instead of the current guesswork.

-Michael

Thanks for your comments, but this does not explain how the setup in the "two-Celli" video (visibly two instances of the Cello) works. If they don't use additional software tools, the instances can't be set to all channels, but each to a dedicated one, and the Seaboard set to some dual channel mode. Looking forward to try all this once I get a Seaboard .... Then I'll be back with decent comments instead of the current guesswork. -Michael
edited Nov 7 '18 at 7:35 pm

Honestly speaking, I would not take the "two Celli" video as a good example...

Anyway, he has simply set the Seaboard in MPE mode, with 2 channels, so the Seaboard transmits on CH2 and CH3 alternatively, at each new note-on.

The first Cello receives on CH2 and the second Cello receives on CH3.

That's it.

Honestly speaking, I would not take the "two Celli" video as a good example... Anyway, he has simply set the Seaboard in MPE mode, with 2 channels, so the Seaboard transmits on CH2 and CH3 alternatively, at each new note-on. The first Cello receives on CH2 and the second Cello receives on CH3. That's it.

Yep. This is exactly what I supposed.

It can be seen that the two instances or staccato noted are triggered alternating, which is how MPE works.

But nonetheless I seem to hear that legato transitions are produced in the usual sound SWAM creates in such situations. That is what seems like magic.

Thanks for your comments,
-Michael

Yep. This is exactly what I supposed. It can be seen that the two instances or staccato noted are triggered alternating, which is how MPE works. But nonetheless I seem to hear that legato transitions are produced in the usual sound SWAM creates in such situations. That is what seems like magic. Thanks for your comments, -Michael
live preview
enter atleast 1 characters
WARNING: You mentioned %MENTIONS%, but they cannot see this message and will not be notified
Saving...
Saved
With selected deselect posts show selected posts
All posts under this topic will be deleted ?
Pending draft ... Click to resume editing
Discard draft