Setup tips & FAQs
Control Woodwinds Growl with the Breath controller (EWI 4000S)

Anybody knows how to obtain or control Growl with CC2 (Breath Controller)
I play SWAM instruments with the EWI 4000S
I know I can go to Options/Midi and select CC2 for Growl instead of the default.
Then I can set values for Min and Max.
However I cannot get the desired effect.
I would like Growl to come on only when playing strongly, meaning applying a lot of breath pressure to the EWI, which also increases volume and expression.
No matter what values I chose I get Growl even when playing softly.
I am hoping not to have to use a separate hardware to send MIDI CC to control things like Growl and Flutter while playing the EWI.

I wish the forum success and hopefully many contributing visitors.
Audio Modeling instruments are simply the best for anybody looking to play sampled instruments as the main melodic instrument in a group and for soloing.

Anybody knows how to obtain or control Growl with CC2 (Breath Controller) I play SWAM instruments with the EWI 4000S I know I can go to Options/Midi and select CC2 for Growl instead of the default. Then I can set values for Min and Max. However I cannot get the desired effect. I would like Growl to come on only when playing strongly, meaning applying a lot of breath pressure to the EWI, which also increases volume and expression. No matter what values I chose I get Growl even when playing softly. I am hoping not to have to use a separate hardware to send MIDI CC to control things like Growl and Flutter while playing the EWI. I wish the forum success and hopefully many contributing visitors. Audio Modeling instruments are simply the best for anybody looking to play sampled instruments as the main melodic instrument in a group and for soloing.
edited Dec 22 '18 at 6:17 am

Hi @aricastudio , the current MIDI mapping is very basic. You cannot set a "threshold", just a linear remapping from min to max.
To do what you wish, you need to use an external MIDI processor.
I.e. in Cubase, Reaper or Logic Pro you can use MIDI transformer or something like that.

@mschnell surely knows how to do it in Reaper.

Hi @aricastudio , the current MIDI mapping is very basic. You cannot set a "threshold", just a linear remapping from min to max. To do what you wish, you need to use an external MIDI processor. I.e. in Cubase, Reaper or Logic Pro you can use MIDI transformer or something like that. @mschnell surely knows how to do it in Reaper.

In case it's exactly clear what is requested, I supposedly can help with a solution in Reaper.

In fact I am not sure that unconditionally tying Growl to BC makes much sense for Live playing, though. I don't know the EWI, but I do suppose there are better options.

-Michael

In case it's exactly clear what is requested, I supposedly can help with a solution in Reaper. In fact I am not sure that unconditionally tying Growl to BC makes much sense for Live playing, though. I don't know the EWI, but I do suppose there are better options. -Michael
edited Dec 25 '18 at 10:56 am

mschnell: rather surprised at your comment regarding using growl and flutter on live situations. Why would the player want to get the most expression out of the instrument specially when performing even if it is an EWI controlling a virtual instrument?
Being able to push a note and making it sound different is commonly done on wind instruments. I do it all the time on my real flute.
It adds emphasis and changes color, all needed to reach the apex of a solo for example.

I can achieve the desired result by using an expression pedal with something like Audiofront Midi to USB box in which I can route the expression pedal to any CC number. It just means more things plugged into the USB Hub as the Macbook has only 2 USB ports and I use one exclusively for the audio interface.

Anyways, all the best, love the SWAM instruments!

mschnell: rather surprised at your comment regarding using growl and flutter on live situations. Why would the player want to get the most expression out of the instrument specially when performing even if it is an EWI controlling a virtual instrument? Being able to push a note and making it sound different is commonly done on wind instruments. I do it all the time on my real flute. It adds emphasis and changes color, all needed to reach the apex of a solo for example. I can achieve the desired result by using an expression pedal with something like Audiofront Midi to USB box in which I can route the expression pedal to any CC number. It just means more things plugged into the USB Hub as the Macbook has only 2 USB ports and I use one exclusively for the audio interface. Anyways, all the best, love the SWAM instruments!

My comment was regarding "unconditionally tying Growl to BC".

I meant that BC is "naturally" used for "expression", i.e. power of blowing, i.e. power of the sound.

Growl is yet another dimension that can (and should) be used independently to express a different dedicated feeling in the playing. and hence would need to be controlled by yet another hardware sensor.

With my TEC BBCv2 I use Breath strength (via Midi "BC" ) for expression and Bite strength (via some other Midi CC) for growl. (Additionally I use "Atertouch" of the keyboard for Vibrato Strength, and a wheel on the keyboard for flutter tong....)

With a Roli Seaboard you will use key Key Pressure (via Midi "Aftertouch" ) for expression and (e.g.) finger position shift ("glide" via some other Midi CC) for growl (or for Vibrato Strength).

-Michael

My comment was regarding "unconditionally tying Growl to BC". I meant that BC is "naturally" used for "expression", i.e. power of blowing, i.e. power of the sound. Growl is yet another dimension that can (and should) be used independently to express a different dedicated feeling in the playing. and hence would need to be controlled by yet another hardware sensor. With my TEC BBCv2 I use Breath strength (via Midi "BC" ) for expression and Bite strength (via some other Midi CC) for growl. (Additionally I use "Atertouch" of the keyboard for Vibrato Strength, and a wheel on the keyboard for flutter tong....) With a Roli Seaboard you will use key Key Pressure (via Midi "Aftertouch" ) for expression and (e.g.) finger position shift ("glide" via some other Midi CC) for growl (or for Vibrato Strength). -Michael
edited Feb 15 at 5:48 am
live preview
enter atleast 1 characters
WARNING: You mentioned %MENTIONS%, but they cannot see this message and will not be notified
Saving...
Saved
With selected deselect posts show selected posts
All posts under this topic will be deleted ?
Pending draft ... Click to resume editing
Discard draft