Solo Strings
Programming Articulations / Expressions in Logic Pro X

Hello all,

Can anyone help me get started with editing the articulations / expressions of midi events within the piano roll of Logic Pro X? How does one fine-tune glissandos, portamentos, vibratos, etc., of individual midi events and pairs of events??

I can secondary-click a midi event to access the articulation selection, but there are 255 nameless articulations in there, and I can't tell if any of them change any behavior whatsoever.

Thanks for any tips!

Hello all, Can anyone help me get started with editing the articulations / expressions of midi events within the piano roll of Logic Pro X? How does one fine-tune glissandos, portamentos, vibratos, etc., of individual midi events and pairs of events?? I can secondary-click a midi event to access the articulation selection, but there are 255 nameless articulations in there, and I can't tell if any of them change any behavior whatsoever. Thanks for any tips!

Hi Tye,

you should forget the typical workflow you are used to with sample libraries. SWAM is not a collection of pre-recorded articulations.

Attack strength is controlled by note-on velocity for non-connected/non-overlapped notes.

Legato is performed just playing two connected or overlapped notes. Note-on velocity of the second note controls the transition speed between the two notes.

Vibrato is controlled by ModWheel (CC1).

Other gestures and articulations are controlled by either key-switches or MIDI CCs, as you wish.

Please refer to the User Manual for more details.

Best!

Hi Tye, you should forget the typical workflow you are used to with sample libraries. SWAM is not a collection of pre-recorded articulations. Attack strength is controlled by note-on velocity for non-connected/non-overlapped notes. Legato is performed just playing two connected or overlapped notes. Note-on velocity of the second note controls the transition speed between the two notes. Vibrato is controlled by ModWheel (CC1). Other gestures and articulations are controlled by either key-switches or MIDI CCs, as you wish. Please refer to the User Manual for more details. Best!

A very (VERY) delayed thanks for the reply. I just logged in for help with another issue, and had totally forgotten that I was ever in this forum.

At the time, I likely didn't return to the post because I was frustrated with the answer, honestly...

(Worth noting: I'm using a Seaboard Block as my input, and it seems the overlapping key strokes do not produce legato with an MPE device such as this.)

The SWAM instruments are indeed incredibly engineered, and I do not want to settle for a sample library when SWAM exists... However, as someone with little skill with a keyboard, having zero ability to tweak any aspect of the performance after recording is an enormous disadvantage over traditional libraries. I have to painstakingly record my performance over and over again, and manually comp together the performance I need, which sometimes creates conflicts when notes of different performance passes don't quite line up correctly.

I gather that the reason there is no explanation for how to edit the performance must be because it's so complicated that it seem impractical to the designers of the instrument. Still, SOMETHING is in the MIDI information that is telling it how to behave in all of these dimensions, and so it must be possible to access that information.

This would eliminate the one remaining disadvantage I can see of using SWAM over traditional libraries.

Do you have any thoughts on this? Thanks again!

A very (VERY) delayed thanks for the reply. I just logged in for help with another issue, and had totally forgotten that I was ever in this forum. At the time, I likely didn't return to the post because I was frustrated with the answer, honestly... (Worth noting: I'm using a Seaboard Block as my input, and it seems the overlapping key strokes do not produce legato with an MPE device such as this.) The SWAM instruments are indeed incredibly engineered, and I do not want to settle for a sample library when SWAM exists... However, as someone with little skill with a keyboard, having zero ability to tweak any aspect of the performance after recording is an enormous disadvantage over traditional libraries. I have to painstakingly record my performance over and over again, and manually comp together the performance I need, which sometimes creates conflicts when notes of different performance passes don't quite line up correctly. I gather that the reason there is no explanation for how to edit the performance must be because it's so complicated that it seem impractical to the designers of the instrument. Still, SOMETHING is in the MIDI information that is telling it how to behave in all of these dimensions, and so it must be possible to access that information. This would eliminate the one remaining disadvantage I can see of using SWAM over traditional libraries. Do you have any thoughts on this? Thanks again!

It's obvious that MPE multi-Voice mode is not appropriate for recording solo lines, as legato transitions are not possible.
For solo the keyboard should be switched to single channel mode.
-Michael

It's obvious that MPE multi-Voice mode is not appropriate for recording solo lines, as legato transitions are not possible. For solo the keyboard should be switched to single channel mode. -Michael

Thanks for your input Michael. It's off my original topic, but maybe useful...

Although I've been using the Seaboard as directed, with the specific Seaboard preset in the SWAM settings, I gather you're suggesting I change the MPE mode to Single Channel in Roli Dashboard, in order to achieve legato with the same technique described by the admin above? I'll give this a shot.

Still, sometimes I use the Solo Strings with the Poly setting "Double" for simultaneous dual string bowing. Regardless of which Poly setting I'm using, with Poly set to "Double" I would not expect overlapping key strokes to produce legato. Is there no other way to achieve legato (with a Seaboard), so that we can get this playing style out of two simultaneous strings on a single instrument?

Again, this is all beside my original goal of accessing the MIDI information after recording, but I appreciate it. (Actually, that reminds me: I didn't have the Seaboard until a year later than when I posted this over two years ago, so I guess I was experimenting with SWAM without the Seaboard at the time of the original inquiry!)

Thanks for your input Michael. It's off my original topic, but maybe useful... Although I've been using the Seaboard as directed, with the specific Seaboard preset in the SWAM settings, I gather you're suggesting I change the MPE mode to Single Channel in Roli Dashboard, in order to achieve legato with the same technique described by the admin above? I'll give this a shot. Still, sometimes I use the Solo Strings with the Poly setting "Double" for simultaneous dual string bowing. Regardless of which Poly setting I'm using, with Poly set to "Double" I would not expect overlapping key strokes to produce legato. Is there no other way to achieve legato (with a Seaboard), so that we can get this playing style out of two simultaneous strings on a single instrument? Again, this is all beside my original goal of accessing the MIDI information after recording, but I appreciate it. (Actually, that reminds me: I didn't have the Seaboard until a year later than when I posted this over two years ago, so I guess I was experimenting with SWAM without the Seaboard at the time of the original inquiry!)

I understand that (with a single Midi channel) the dual string mode in SWAM is used automatically if two note on events come within a very short time. otherwise a legato transition is performed.
-Michael

I understand that (with a single Midi channel) the dual string mode in SWAM is used automatically if two note on events come within a very short time. otherwise a legato transition is performed. -Michael
edited Apr 17 at 5:57 am

Thanks again, Michael. To be clear, are you suggesting that I don't need to set Bow Polyphony to "Double" or "Double/Hold"? Or are you instead suggesting that I do need one of those two settings selected, but that it should assume I want to play a single string at a time (legato) unless I strike both near-simultaneously?

Either way, I am finding that not to be the case...

I have the Seaboard mode set to Single Channel and, with all Bow Polyphony settings (including Auto) EXCEPT "Double" and "Double/Hold," I am only able to produce a single pitch at a time, even when striking two key-waves simultaneously. When set to "Double" or "Double/Hold," I am not able produce a single-string legato performance unless I lift the previous note at just the right time when striking the next.

For what it's worth, the good news is that apparently Single Channel mode does not prevent Double string performance, as I would have predicted.

...and with all of this said, it has dawned on me that earlier I had been mis-translating Legato as Portamento in my mind. How silly. I suppose I am able to get a decent Legato performance out of Single Channel mode (though tricky with Double Boy Polyphony!)

So what I don't know how to do, with the Seaboard specifically, is produce the Portamento, which I understand on a regular keyboard would be done with slightly overlapping key strokes. If anyone can shed light on that'd be spectacular, or perhaps I'll find the answer in my own further research. This question should really have been its own separate post at this point.

Finally, I also want to follow up on the original question of my post. Over two years later, I seem to have an answer!

I was just working with AM support via ticket/email to resolve what I thought may have been a couple bugs. One of them was regarding "ghost" MIDI information that was lingering after deleting note events and thereby influencing my subsequent passes of my SWAM performance. Emanuele educated me that the additional MIDI information (informing all the characteristics of the SWAM performance other than initial pitch and velocity) are handled like region-based automation data in Logic! This was the tip I needed to realize that what I already know about automation should help me figure out how to tweak (at least some of) the expressions and "articulations" as I was calling them.

I had been looking for data in the 255 nameless "articulations" when really all I needed was a tip to open the automation track! Thanks again Emanuele.

I wish someone would post a best-practices for tasteful post-performance tweaks to the MIDI automation data.

Thanks again, Michael. To be clear, are you suggesting that I don't need to set Bow Polyphony to "Double" or "Double/Hold"? Or are you instead suggesting that I do need one of those two settings selected, but that it should assume I want to play a single string at a time (legato) unless I strike both near-simultaneously? Either way, I am finding that not to be the case... I have the Seaboard mode set to Single Channel and, with all Bow Polyphony settings (including Auto) _EXCEPT_ "Double" and "Double/Hold," I am only able to produce a single pitch at a time, even when striking two key-waves simultaneously. When set to "Double" or "Double/Hold," I am not able produce a single-string legato performance unless I lift the previous note at just the right time when striking the next. For what it's worth, the good news is that apparently Single Channel mode does not prevent Double string performance, as I would have predicted. — ...and with all of this said, it has dawned on me that earlier I had been mis-translating Legato as Portamento in my mind. How silly. I suppose I am able to get a decent Legato performance out of Single Channel mode (though tricky with Double Boy Polyphony!) So what I don't know how to do, with the Seaboard specifically, is produce the Portamento, which I understand on a regular keyboard would be done with slightly overlapping key strokes. If anyone can shed light on that'd be spectacular, or perhaps I'll find the answer in my own further research. This question should really have been its own separate post at this point. — Finally, I also want to follow up on the original question of my post. Over two years later, I seem to have an answer! I was just working with AM support via ticket/email to resolve what I thought may have been a couple bugs. One of them was regarding "ghost" MIDI information that was lingering after deleting note events and thereby influencing my subsequent passes of my SWAM performance. Emanuele educated me that the additional MIDI information (informing all the characteristics of the SWAM performance other than initial pitch and velocity) are handled like region-based automation data in Logic! This was the tip I needed to realize that what I already know about automation should help me figure out how to tweak (at least some of) the expressions and "articulations" as I was calling them. **I had been looking for data in the 255 nameless "articulations" when really all I needed was a tip to open the automation track!** Thanks again Emanuele. I wish someone would post a best-practices for tasteful post-performance tweaks to the MIDI automation data.
edited Apr 17 at 6:31 pm
live preview
enter atleast 1 characters
WARNING: You mentioned %MENTIONS%, but they cannot see this message and will not be notified
Saving...
Saved
With selected deselect posts show selected posts
All posts under this topic will be deleted ?
Pending draft ... Click to resume editing
Discard draft