Setup tips & FAQs
Help for using SWAM instruments with the TEC BBC2 breath controller

Hello

I have just purchased "The Saxophones" and I also have the TEC BBC2 breath controller.

I'm looking forward to knowing about the best-recommended settings, tweaks, and tips in order to get the best possible performance and sounding experience when using the TEC BBC2 breath controller and playing the SWAM saxophones virtual instrument.

Asking about that here, because other than demos and "show off" videos i saw on youtube performing by others, there is just no precise technical info about how to properly set up the two things together.

Due to the rare and exotic nature of the hardware combined to the software, there are not many of us online and you feel very much alone in a jungle hood of settings and especially for the cost of both (about 500euros) and this is not a joke. Unfortunately, the manual does not cover setup that is specific to the TEC BBC2 either.

Furthermore, after watching to many of demo videos on youtube people playing swam vst with the tec bbc2 i can tell i was quite surprised that no where (yet) the use of the TEC BBC2 controller was ever mentioned in here on this forum, it felt just like nobody uses it at all. .. and this is really something weird, that's why i decided to start this topic so it can benefit to other users as well.

So far, i have managed to set up the TEC BBC2 and play the saxophone swam instrument. But, now that i'm here this is what i would like to know:

with everything already properly set up and working with default settings in the DAW (studio one v4.x in my case) and when i load up the SWAM instrument (ie Tenor), what setting i should choose at first in the "reset" menu?:
-'default wind controller' or 'default breath controller' ?
(in my case, choosing the "default breath controller" worked well)

-is there anything particular to tweak in the "options" menu?

-what midi controllers are the best suitable to assign to the TEC BBC2 in the "midi mapping" page?

• in the 'TEControl Breath controller' app tool, what parameters and sliders should be tweaked in the 'breath / bite / nod / tilt' pages in order to obtain the best performing & sounding results when playing the SWAM instrument? (-in my case, everything is left by default)

Could you share the preference / setting files for any of those?

Anything else about playing technique?

Any tips and help are welcome and much appreciated, thanks to anyone willing to help with this very much in advance, and yet with default settings i'm more than satisfied with the result i'm obtaining at the very beginning, i know there is much more to dig out of it.

regards,
Tsolight

Hello I have just purchased "The Saxophones" and I also have the TEC BBC2 breath controller. I'm looking forward to knowing about the best-recommended settings, tweaks, and tips in order to get the best possible performance and sounding experience when using the TEC BBC2 breath controller and playing the SWAM saxophones virtual instrument. Asking about that here, because other than demos and "show off" videos i saw on youtube performing by others, there is just no precise technical info about how to properly set up the two things together. Due to the rare and exotic nature of the hardware combined to the software, there are not many of us online and you feel very much alone in a jungle hood of settings and especially for the cost of both (about 500euros) and this is not a joke. Unfortunately, the manual does not cover setup that is specific to the TEC BBC2 either. Furthermore, after watching to many of demo videos on youtube people playing swam vst with the tec bbc2 i can tell i was quite surprised that no where (yet) the use of the TEC BBC2 controller was ever mentioned in here on this forum, it felt just like nobody uses it at all. .. and this is really something weird, that's why i decided to start this topic so it can benefit to other users as well. So far, i have managed to set up the TEC BBC2 and play the saxophone swam instrument. But, now that i'm here this is what i would like to know: with everything already properly set up and working with default settings in the DAW (studio one v4.x in my case) and when i load up the SWAM instrument (ie Tenor), what setting i should choose at first in the "reset" menu?: -'default wind controller' or 'default breath controller' ? (in my case, choosing the "default breath controller" worked well) -is there anything particular to tweak in the "options" menu? -what midi controllers are the best suitable to assign to the TEC BBC2 in the "midi mapping" page? - in the 'TEControl Breath controller' app tool, what parameters and sliders should be tweaked in the 'breath / bite / nod / tilt' pages in order to obtain the best performing & sounding results when playing the SWAM instrument? (-in my case, everything is left by default) Could you share the preference / setting files for any of those? Anything else about playing technique? Any tips and help are welcome and much appreciated, thanks to anyone willing to help with this very much in advance, and yet with default settings i'm more than satisfied with the result i'm obtaining at the very beginning, i know there is much more to dig out of it. regards, Tsolight
edited Mar 12 at 1:01 pm

Hi @tsolight,

the reasons why in the User Manual there is no specific settings for TEControl BBC2 are multiple:

1) we support A LOT of expressive controllers: standard expression pedal controllers, breath controllers, several wind controllers (AKAI EWI, Aodyo Sylphyo, Yamaha WX, EVI, Roland Aerophone), Seaboard, LinnStrument, Touché, Joué, Sensel, Leap Motion, MIDI Guitars, and so on... it would be impossible to provide a configuration for each of them and keep them constantly up to date.

2) any user is free to assign the MIDI CCs coming from his controller that best suits his own playing style. E.g. someone can assign Tilt gesture to Vibrato Rate, someone else to Growl.

In my opinion, you have done the right thing: asking here in the Community.

As for the Default presets (i.e. "Reset" button), "Breath Controller" is intended for most Breath Controllers in their default configuration, like TEControl BC or BBC2. "Wind Controller" is intended for Electronic Wind Instruments, like AKAI EWI, Yamaha WX, Roland Aerophone, Aodyo Sylphyo, etc.

As for the "MIDI mapping" page: look at your BBC2 utility program. It tells you what MIDI CCs have been assigned to Breath (default CC2 -> Expression), Bite (default CC1 -> Vibrato), Tilt and Nod gestures.
Check or select what MIDI CCs have been assigned to Tilt and Nod, set the same CC numbers to the parameter you want to control through Tilt and Nod (e.g. Growl or Vibrato Rate).

Best!

Hi @tsolight, the reasons why in the User Manual there is no specific settings for TEControl BBC2 are multiple: 1) we support A LOT of expressive controllers: standard expression pedal controllers, breath controllers, several wind controllers (AKAI EWI, Aodyo Sylphyo, Yamaha WX, EVI, Roland Aerophone), Seaboard, LinnStrument, Touché, Joué, Sensel, Leap Motion, MIDI Guitars, and so on... it would be impossible to provide a configuration for each of them and keep them constantly up to date. 2) any user is free to assign the MIDI CCs coming from his controller that best suits his own playing style. E.g. someone can assign Tilt gesture to Vibrato Rate, someone else to Growl. In my opinion, you have done the right thing: asking here in the Community. As for the Default presets (i.e. "Reset" button), "Breath Controller" is intended for most Breath Controllers in their default configuration, like TEControl BC or BBC2. "Wind Controller" is intended for Electronic Wind Instruments, like AKAI EWI, Yamaha WX, Roland Aerophone, Aodyo Sylphyo, etc. As for the "MIDI mapping" page: look at your BBC2 utility program. It tells you what MIDI CCs have been assigned to Breath (default CC2 -> Expression), Bite (default CC1 -> Vibrato), Tilt and Nod gestures. Check or select what MIDI CCs have been assigned to Tilt and Nod, set the same CC numbers to the parameter you want to control through Tilt and Nod (e.g. Growl or Vibrato Rate). Best!

I don't have the Sax, but I do have the flute.

My controller setup is

breath -> Expression
bite -> Growl
Nod -> pitchbend
tilt -> Vibrato speed
after Touch -> Vibrato depth
wheel -> Flutter tong

You should be able to find several messages of mine (and others) in the Audio Modeling and the Sample Modeling forums regarding playing Swam instruments with the TEC BBCv2.

-Michael

I don't have the Sax, but I do have the flute. My controller setup is breath -> Expression bite -> Growl Nod -> pitchbend tilt -> Vibrato speed after Touch -> Vibrato depth wheel -> Flutter tong You should be able to find several messages of mine (and others) in the Audio Modeling and the Sample Modeling forums regarding playing Swam instruments with the TEC BBCv2. -Michael
live preview
enter atleast 1 characters
WARNING: You mentioned %MENTIONS%, but they cannot see this message and will not be notified
Saving...
Saved
With selected deselect posts show selected posts
All posts under this topic will be deleted ?
Pending draft ... Click to resume editing
Discard draft