Solo Strings
Use part of a Seaboard Rise as a Ribbon Controller for Swam Strings in "Bowing" mode

I got a first version of the software converting part of the Seaboard to a Ribbon controller working !

You can choose a range of keys and while all other touches on the Seaboard are processed normally (this plugin reduces the channel count of the MPE stream to a single channel, anyway, and calculates appropriate channel control values from the multiple control values than come in via MPE, or all pressed keys), the messages in that key range are handled especially:

• The exact position of the press in that range is converted to a new CC #, to be used as "expression" in "Bowing" mode of a SWAM solo string instrument.
  • the pressure in that range is converted to yet another new CC #, to be used as bow pressure.

ToDo (but verified to be possible):

• detect the vertical position of the touch to determine if you want to use the "Ribbon" or the keys (e.g. to use them for the SWAM keyswitches)
  • send a small part of the vertical position as yet another new CC #, to be used as bow position.

If anybody is interested to test this, please let me know.
-Michael

I got a first version of the software converting part of the Seaboard to a Ribbon controller working ! You can choose a range of keys and while all other touches on the Seaboard are processed normally (this plugin reduces the channel count of the MPE stream to a single channel, anyway, and calculates appropriate channel control values from the multiple control values than come in via MPE, or all pressed keys), the messages in that key range are handled especially: - The exact position of the press in that range is converted to a new CC #, to be used as "expression" in "Bowing" mode of a SWAM solo string instrument. - the pressure in that range is converted to yet another new CC #, to be used as bow pressure. ToDo (but verified to be possible): - detect the vertical position of the touch to determine if you want to use the "Ribbon" or the keys (e.g. to use them for the SWAM keyswitches) - send a small part of the vertical position as yet another new CC #, to be used as bow position. If anybody is interested to test this, please let me know. -Michael
edited May 25 at 12:10 pm

@mschnell why don't you post a video using that setup in realtime? Would be really cool!

@mschnell why don't you post a video using that setup in realtime? Would be really cool!

Maybe next week ...

But in fact I have no idea how to create and publish a video smile

-Michael

Maybe next week ... But in fact I have no idea how to create and publish a video :( -Michael
edited May 29 at 5:16 am

Only as a recipient, never as a sender.
Of course I do have my own websites that could host the content, but it seems like a lot of work to created such.
-Michael

Only as a recipient, never as a sender. Of course I do have my own websites that could host the content, but it seems like a lot of work to created such. -Michael
edited May 29 at 12:33 pm

I suggest to use YouTube: you can decide if the video can be public or not.
In case you want to embed it on your website or post a reference here, you can do it even if a video is not public.

I suggest to use YouTube: you can decide if the video can be public or not. In case you want to embed it on your website or post a reference here, you can do it even if a video is not public.

Hi, I'm interested to test this ) Good idea!

Hi, I'm interested to test this ) Good idea!

This is JSFX "script" software. (free, open source, and of course currently just Alpha)
If you use Reaper (free trial available) you can simply save a file with the source code somewhere.
If you prefer to use another DAW, you can d/l and install the "ReaPlugs" package by Cockos. Same contains "ReaJS", a VST that can load and execute JSFX plugins. (The package comes with lots of nice JSFXes to check this out.) As I use Reaper, I did not check if my software runs via ReaJS, but I don't see why it would not.
If you are interested and ready I'll be happy to upload the sourcecode somewhere.

-Michael

This is JSFX "script" software. (free, open source, and of course currently just Alpha) If you use Reaper (free trial available) you can simply save a file with the source code somewhere. If you prefer to use another DAW, you can d/l and install the "ReaPlugs" package by Cockos. Same contains "ReaJS", a VST that can load and execute JSFX plugins. (The package comes with lots of nice JSFXes to check this out.) As I use Reaper, I did not check if my software runs via ReaJS, but I don't see why it would not. If you are interested and ready I'll be happy to upload the sourcecode somewhere. -Michael
edited Jun 4 at 5:30 am

I'm also interested in testing this script (and I use Reaper as my main DAW). I'd be happy to give feedback on any particular concerns you have as well. Thanks!

I'm also interested in testing this script (and I use Reaper as my main DAW). I'd be happy to give feedback on any particular concerns you have as well. Thanks!
edited Jun 4 at 5:12 pm

Hi, Michael! Can you please create a little guide to your script, I'd like to test it, but just can't figure out how to use it. My DAW is Cubase Pro 10.

I've download and install RealJS, download your script.

Could you make video?

Hi, Michael! Can you please create a little guide to your script, I'd like to test it, but just can't figure out how to use it. My DAW is Cubase Pro 10. I've download and install RealJS, download your script. Could you make video?

Does the script work at all in Cubase and ReaJS ?

The default setting should work and create a Midi stream with a single channel (hence useful for SWAM instruents) from the incoming MPE Stream.

It should show a table that is permanently updated with the activities the plugin performs.

A user guide / description is included in the script at the top.

Please com back when this works.

Only the sliders named "Ribbon ..." are not described there (yet). We'll get to those later.

Please come back with any questions.

-Michael

Does the script work at all in Cubase and ReaJS ? The default setting should work and create a Midi stream with a single channel (hence useful for SWAM instruents) from the incoming MPE Stream. It should show a table that is permanently updated with the activities the plugin performs. A user guide / description is included in the script at the top. Please com back when this works. Only the sliders named "Ribbon ..." are not described there (yet). We'll get to those later. Please come back with any questions. -Michael

Hi, Michael. It is working in Cubase 10, i used to load "ReaJS" as audio insert on channel where SWAM instrument presents. By the time, I created one more midi track (in cubase we have so called "Instrument tracks", where we can load a vst instrument and use audio inserts, and "Midi tracks", which are using only for midi data). I routed the data from this midi track to "ReaJS" input on instruments track (I think it's the only way to make this working).
I see that script is working, but can't figure out how to use it, what settings I must set in SWAM instrument). Can you please share more details abot SWAM settings and how to setup your script the right way? Thank you (and sorry for bad english)

Hi, Michael. It is working in Cubase 10, i used to load "ReaJS" as audio insert on channel where SWAM instrument presents. By the time, I created one more midi track (in cubase we have so called "Instrument tracks", where we can load a vst instrument and use audio inserts, and "Midi tracks", which are using only for midi data). I routed the data from this midi track to "ReaJS" input on instruments track (I think it's the only way to make this working). I see that script is working, but can't figure out how to use it, what settings I must set in SWAM instrument). Can you please share more details abot SWAM settings and how to setup your script the right way? Thank you (and sorry for bad english)

Regarding the Settings for "MPE to Single Channel" I like best:

• Poly, Channel 1 Global
  • Pitch Wheel
  • latest key
  • Channnel pressure
  • sum
  • average

for now, set Ribbon mode = deactivated to get used to control the Swam instrument by the Seaboard

With this setting you can start by using the breath controller preset and set the expression to Channel pressure

To decently use the seaboard (while not changing the seaboard's parameters) you additionally need the "Pitch bend Factor" jsfx (set to channel 2 and Factor 4 directly after the MPE converter plugin, as the Swam instrument can't set the pitch bend range wide enough. (I'll add "Pitch bend Factor" to the zip file.)

Now you set the Swam's pitch bend to up and down 12 semitones. With that a slide on the Seaboard should result in the appropriate note.

That done you can switch off the automatic vibrato of the swam (violin or Cello), as you can do vibrato by finger wiggling.

Let me know if that works for you.

-Michael

Regarding the Settings for "MPE to Single Channel" I like best: - Poly, Channel 1 Global - 2 - Pitch Wheel - latest key - Channnel pressure - sum - 74 - average - 50 for now, set Ribbon mode = deactivated to get used to control the Swam instrument by the Seaboard With this setting you can start by using the breath controller preset and set the expression to Channel pressure To decently use the seaboard (while not changing the seaboard's parameters) you additionally need the "Pitch bend Factor" jsfx (set to channel 2 and Factor 4 directly after the MPE converter plugin, as the Swam instrument can't set the pitch bend range wide enough. (I'll add "Pitch bend Factor" to the zip file.) Now you set the Swam's pitch bend to up and down 12 semitones. With that a slide on the Seaboard should result in the appropriate note. That done you can switch off the automatic vibrato of the swam (violin or Cello), as you can do vibrato by finger wiggling. Let me know if that works for you. -Michael
edited 3 days ago at 4:22 pm

Hi, Michael. After some attempts I see the moving red square in the bottom of the script window, but nothing's happen in SWAM instrument - no sound, no bow moving. Can you make some screenshots of your settnigs (script and swam settings windows?) you can attach the photos in post

Hi, Michael. After some attempts I see the moving red square in the bottom of the script window, but nothing's happen in SWAM instrument - no sound, no bow moving. Can you make some screenshots of your settnigs (script and swam settings windows?) you can attach the photos in post
edited 2 days ago at 8:35 am

Are you able to decently play the Swam instrument with the Seaboad through the two plugins in non-bowing mode (but with using key pressure as expression ?
From your desciption it seems that the Midi Stream from the plugin does not reach the SWAM instrument.
The plugin (in the setting I recommended) outputs messages only on Midi channel 2, So you should set the Swam instrument to that channel. And you should use some means to verify that the messages are fed to the SWAM instrument.
-Michael

Are you able to decently play the Swam instrument with the Seaboad through the two plugins in non-bowing mode (but with using key pressure as expression ? From your desciption it seems that the Midi Stream from the plugin does not reach the SWAM instrument. The plugin (in the setting I recommended) outputs messages only on Midi channel 2, So you should set the Swam instrument to that channel. And you should use some means to verify that the messages are fed to the SWAM instrument. -Michael
edited 2 days ago at 11:33 am

Yes, it plays perfectly (when "Seaboard" preset is activated in SWAM), but you said that I have to use "Breath Controller" preset

Yes, it plays perfectly (when "Seaboard" preset is activated in SWAM), but you said that I have to use "Breath Controller" preset

I see that SWAM receiving midi stream, in "Breat controller" mode I can see spots on violin's neck when I press keys, but the bow doesn't moving

I see that SWAM receiving midi stream, in "Breat controller" mode I can see spots on violin's neck when I press keys, but the bow doesn't moving

I did not check out the Seaboard preset yet (I started this with an older version of the SWAM instrument that did not feature the "Seaboard" setting), and I don't know what it exactly does. But I don't suppose there is too much difference from the BC preset (in fact you can receive MPE Midi by setting the receiver to "Omni" ). Maybe the new SWAM instrument also features a wider PB range, so that you don't need the "Pitch Bend Factor" plugin.

If you are comfortable with playing the SWAM with the Seaboard (using Channel Pressure for Aftertouch), you can try and activate the "Ribbon" feature of the plugin (only "Position" is implemented currently).
Obviously low and high limit Note # are the midi key numbers that define the range on the seaboard the "Ribbon" is to be located. "Upper Limit CC" is not implemented yet. "Ribbon Position" and "Ribbon Pressur" are the CCs the finger moves on the ribbon are transferred by.

To use the SWAM engine in "Bowin" mode, you need to assign the expression of the SWAM to the CC defined as "Ribbon Position", and set the SWAM "Bow Gesture" to "Bowing" (see the SWAM documentation).

happy hunting,
-Michael

I did not check out the Seaboard preset yet (I started this with an older version of the SWAM instrument that did not feature the "Seaboard" setting), and I don't know what it exactly does. But I don't suppose there is too much difference from the BC preset (in fact you can receive MPE Midi by setting the receiver to "Omni" ). Maybe the new SWAM instrument also features a wider PB range, so that you don't need the "Pitch Bend Factor" plugin. If you are comfortable with playing the SWAM with the Seaboard (using Channel Pressure for Aftertouch), you can try and activate the "Ribbon" feature of the plugin (only "Position" is implemented currently). Obviously low and high limit Note # are the midi key numbers that define the range on the seaboard the "Ribbon" is to be located. "Upper Limit CC" is not implemented yet. "Ribbon Position" and "Ribbon Pressur" are the CCs the finger moves on the ribbon are transferred by. To use the SWAM engine in "Bowin" mode, you need to assign the expression of the SWAM to the CC defined as "Ribbon Position", and set the SWAM "Bow Gesture" to "Bowing" (see the SWAM documentation). happy hunting, -Michael
edited 2 days ago at 11:50 am

For this you set the Bow gesture to "Expression" and assign the expression CC to "aftertouch" ("AT, not a number).
-Michael

> I see that SWAM receiving midi stream, in "Breat controller" mode I can see spots on violin's neck when I press keys, but the bow doesn't moving For this you set the Bow gesture to "Expression" and assign the expression CC to "aftertouch" ("AT, not a number). -Michael
live preview
enter atleast 1 characters
WARNING: You mentioned %MENTIONS%, but they cannot see this message and will not be notified
Saving...
Saved
With selected deselect posts show selected posts
All posts under this topic will be deleted ?
Pending draft ... Click to resume editing
Discard draft