SWAM
My jaw just hit the floor.

The dream of leaving the expensive and fragile computer in the studio and having a hardware unit running my favourite plugins at a reasonable price is getting closer.

This is a Linux based SOC based technology

• Ultra-low latency (below 1ms round-trip)

I'm wondering how CPU intensive plugins would perform here but having used Linux in servers for a couple of decades as a sysadmin I know that it can be tweaked to a level of performance that is unmatched by other operating systems.

Scroll down to "We work with" section to see Audio Modeling, SWAM Engine & Camelot! Like I said, my jaw just hit the floor.

Hardware host for SWAM

The dream of leaving the expensive and fragile computer in the studio and having a hardware unit running my favourite plugins at a reasonable price is getting closer. This is a Linux based SOC based technology - Ultra-low latency (below 1ms round-trip) I'm wondering how CPU intensive plugins would perform here but having used Linux in servers for a couple of decades as a sysadmin I know that it can be tweaked to a level of performance that is unmatched by other operating systems. Scroll down to "We work with" section to see Audio Modeling, SWAM Engine & Camelot! Like I said, my jaw just hit the floor. [Hardware host for SWAM](https://www.mindmusiclabs.com/)

(There already has been another thread on this topic in this forum...)
There once has been "Muse Receptor" offered in several variants, perusing this goal, and sold some thousand devices. Unfortunately they gave up. (Other brands also had been promoted, but finally never were actually available.)
IMHO this only could be successful, if Native Instruments would be in their "we work with" list, as Kontakt would allow for running a huge list of high quality virtual instruments, there are lots of synths based on "Reaktor", and additionally NI provides a big count of high quality live usable instruments and effects.
Astonishingly "Cocos" is not in their "we work with" list, while "Reaper" is available in a Linux version as well for x86 as for ARM processors, and hence should "simply run" on their systems.
-Michael

(There already has been another thread on this topic in this forum...) There once has been "Muse Receptor" offered in several variants, perusing this goal, and sold some thousand devices. Unfortunately they gave up. (Other brands also had been promoted, but finally never were actually available.) IMHO this only could be successful, if Native Instruments would be in their "we work with" list, as Kontakt would allow for running a huge list of high quality virtual instruments, there are lots of synths based on "Reaktor", and additionally NI provides a big count of high quality live usable instruments and effects. Astonishingly "Cocos" is not in their "we work with" list, while "Reaper" is available in a Linux version as well for x86 as for ARM processors, and hence should "simply run" on their systems. -Michael
edited Jun 6 at 5:50 am

Apologies for not searching the forum before posting.

Can you link to the relevant thread?

Apologies for not searching the forum before posting. Can you link to the relevant thread?

Have you ever tried the Muse Receptor, live, on stage?

I have; in late 2005 and it didn't work out, € 1200+ and a week later and I sent it back and got refunded then bought a nice guitar for the cash.

Have you ever tried the Muse Receptor, live, on stage? I have; in late 2005 and it didn't work out, € 1200+ and a week later and I sent it back and got refunded then bought a nice guitar for the cash.

Have you ever tried the Muse Receptor, live, on stage?

No. I use an embedded PC in a trunk that I built up myself. -> https://forum.cockos.com/showthread.php?t=213568#5

-Michael

> Have you ever tried the Muse Receptor, live, on stage? No. I use an embedded PC in a trunk that I built up myself. -> https://forum.cockos.com/showthread.php?t=213568#5 -Michael

That's a handy solution. I'm using a Mac Mini in a rack mount at present controlling Logic on the Mac Mini with Logic Remote on IOS. I have a simple setup with seven VIs on different tracks. SWAM Saxes, Flutes and the SM Brass.

https://www.sonnettech.com/product/rackmacmini.html

Really looking forward to ELK.

As a power user of Cocos Reaper maybe you could persuade them to join ELK?

That's a handy solution. I'm using a Mac Mini in a rack mount at present controlling Logic on the Mac Mini with Logic Remote on IOS. I have a simple setup with seven VIs on different tracks. SWAM Saxes, Flutes and the SM Brass. https://www.sonnettech.com/product/rackmacmini.html Really looking forward to ELK. As a power user of Cocos Reaper maybe you could persuade them to join ELK?

I also use the Sonnettech rack case for these tiny Windows PCs in my server room at work. They run various company websites for print servers, support tickets and resource booking. They are headless in my setup.

https://www.lenovo.com/gb/en/desktops-and-all-in-ones/thinkcentre/m-series-tiny/c/M-Series-Tiny

I also use the Sonnettech rack case for these tiny Windows PCs in my server room at work. They run various company websites for print servers, support tickets and resource booking. They are headless in my setup. https://www.lenovo.com/gb/en/desktops-and-all-in-ones/thinkcentre/m-series-tiny/c/M-Series-Tiny

The Trunk PC is decently affordable for an i7 system,, and has no moving parts (SSD, fanless), and the trunk allows for mounting the power supply, the A/D-D/A device and the DI box inside.

-Michael

The Trunk PC is decently affordable for an i7 system,, and has no moving parts (SSD, fanless), and the trunk allows for mounting the power supply, the A/D-D/A device and the DI box inside. -Michael

DI-box? Sounds sweet, I'll look at it. After a few decades and many pathways I'm always open to new ideas. I'm system agnostic BTW, Linux, Mac, Windows etc. The problem with my Mac Mini solution is the requirement for an external soundcard. Could you send me a link?

DI-box? Sounds sweet, I'll look at it. After a few decades and many pathways I'm always open to new ideas. I'm system agnostic BTW, Linux, Mac, Windows etc. The problem with my Mac Mini solution is the requirement for an external soundcard. Could you send me a link?

Not really, as I built the thing up from pieces.

The trunk is just a standard model from a utility store. I used rubber bumpers to smoothly hold an aluminum plate in the middle.

The plate holds the PC and the A/D box on the upper site and the power supply and the DI box at the lower site. It also provides holes for two XLR and one Power-AC sockets.

The PC is a "fanless mini PC " by "MIFCOM" in Germany. Unfortunately they don't have the i7 model any more (as the new i7 boards are 6 core instead of my old 4 core: too much heat for the fanless housing), but they claim the the new i5s are at least as fast.

The A/D is an NI "Audio 6", as same provides excellent realtime performance.

The DI is just two transformers.

-Michael

Not really, as I built the thing up from pieces. The trunk is just a standard model from a utility store. I used rubber bumpers to smoothly hold an aluminum plate in the middle. The plate holds the PC and the A/D box on the upper site and the power supply and the DI box at the lower site. It also provides holes for two XLR and one Power-AC sockets. The PC is a "fanless mini PC " by "MIFCOM" in Germany. Unfortunately they don't have the i7 model any more (as the new i7 boards are 6 core instead of my old 4 core: too much heat for the fanless housing), but they claim the the new i5s are at least as fast. The A/D is an NI "Audio 6", as same provides excellent realtime performance. The DI is just two transformers. -Michael
edited Jun 10 at 4:45 am
live preview
enter atleast 1 characters
WARNING: You mentioned %MENTIONS%, but they cannot see this message and will not be notified
Saving...
Saved
With selected deselect posts show selected posts
All posts under this topic will be deleted ?
Pending draft ... Click to resume editing
Discard draft