Solo Strings
Feature Request: Change Bow Direction on Expression Controller Reaching 0

Hi,

When using a breath controller I'd like to have the bow direction switch between breaths. So when the controller value drops to zero we'd get a bow change. I realize there is a keyswitch for bow direction change but would like the option to use "through zero" as an articulation trigger.

Thanks,

Chris

Hi, When using a breath controller I'd like to have the bow direction switch between breaths. So when the controller value drops to zero we'd get a bow change. I realize there is a keyswitch for bow direction change but would like the option to use "through zero" as an articulation trigger. Thanks, Chris

Hello,

This is a very good proposal, but with the input by a breath controller, it may be difficult because the curve around Exp = 0 becomes loose.

The following settings are suitable for the current version.
Sustain (CC64): On
Sustain Ramp (Rel Env): Fade
5d24cda4bdd2a

However, this setting is not all-around.
It is not suitable for smooth and quick bow change.

What I would like to propose to AM is as follows:
Sustain (CC64): On → Off
Sustain Ramp (Rel Env): Hold

In the setting above, I think that everything goes well if the sound doesn't continue to sound with Sustain (CC64): Off.

Hikari

Hello, This is a very good proposal, but with the input by a breath controller, it may be difficult because the curve around Exp = 0 becomes loose. The following settings are suitable for the current version. Sustain (CC64): On Sustain Ramp (Rel Env): Fade ![5d24cda4bdd2a](serve/attachment&path=5d24cda4bdd2a) However, this setting is not all-around. It is not suitable for smooth and quick bow change. What I would like to propose to AM is as follows: Sustain (CC64): On → Off Sustain Ramp (Rel Env): Hold In the setting above, I think that everything goes well if the sound doesn't continue to sound with Sustain (CC64): Off. Hikari

+1. good request, but, as Hikari wrote, a 0 values can be loosed in curve. For me sometimes best results to set not 0, but 5 or even more.

For now I notice a next problem:

I have a digital accordion.
it has a wind controller inside. When I play detache notes (by pressing a note once and moving a bellows) accordion sends a CC1 changes. CC1 assigned to expression in my SWAM instruments. As result it sounds as separate notes, like a strings bow changes.
there is a Expression trigger function in SWAM instruments for wind controllers. It works for me only during 1st note performing. If I play 2nd and 3rd notes, Expression trigger function stops to generate bow changes (if I play 2nd and 3rd notes connected to first note by legato). Also it not works, if I play double notes (is it a bug?) May be it good for use with wind controllers. But it's not works properly with accordion controllers. I made my patch in Plogue Bidule, that generates a bow change keyswitch if Expression crossed a minimal value. It works with notes, connected by legato (instead of SWAM expression trigger function). I made a video, sorry for my bad english speaking)) https://youtu.be/x53BJ5PvhEI

+1. good request, but, as Hikari wrote, a 0 values can be loosed in curve. For me sometimes best results to set not 0, but 5 or even more. For now I notice a next problem: I have a digital accordion. it has a wind controller inside. When I play detache notes (by pressing a note once and moving a bellows) accordion sends a CC1 changes. CC1 assigned to expression in my SWAM instruments. As result it sounds as separate notes, like a strings bow changes. there is a Expression trigger function in SWAM instruments for wind controllers. It works for me only during 1st note performing. If I play 2nd and 3rd notes, Expression trigger function stops to generate bow changes (if I play 2nd and 3rd notes connected to first note by legato). Also it not works, if I play double notes (is it a bug?) May be it good for use with wind controllers. But it's not works properly with accordion controllers. I made my patch in Plogue Bidule, that generates a bow change keyswitch if Expression crossed a minimal value. It works with notes, connected by legato (instead of SWAM expression trigger function). I made a video, sorry for my bad english speaking)) https://youtu.be/x53BJ5PvhEI
edited Feb 7 at 1:17 pm

I ended up writing a script in MainStage that toggles bow up/down when CC2 == 0. I'm reasonably happy with the result. Now I have to practice flutter tonguing with the breath controller.

5e4632b93279b

I ended up writing a script in MainStage that toggles bow up/down when CC2 == 0. I'm reasonably happy with the result. Now I have to practice flutter tonguing with the breath controller. ![5e4632b93279b](serve/attachment&path=5e4632b93279b)
edited Feb 14 at 5:40 am

Which Breath controller do you use ?
I found that the (otherwise great) TEC BBCv2 is not fast enough for this, as the smoothing parameter can not be set low enough.
-Michael

Which Breath controller do you use ? I found that the (otherwise great) TEC BBCv2 is not fast enough for this, as the smoothing parameter can not be set low enough. -Michael
edited Feb 13 at 6:46 pm

I use the TEControl BBCv2 as well. I use some fairly radical sensitivity curves for the SWAM strings.
5e462967b2423

I use the TEControl BBCv2 as well. I use some fairly radical sensitivity curves for the SWAM strings. ![5e462967b2423](serve/attachment&path=5e462967b2423)
live preview
enter atleast 1 characters
WARNING: You mentioned %MENTIONS%, but they cannot see this message and will not be notified
Saving...
Saved
With selected deselect posts show selected posts
All posts under this topic will be deleted ?
Pending draft ... Click to resume editing
Discard draft