Solo Woodwinds
Saxophones Features Wish List

If any of the development team reads this, I'd like to request a few features to consider for future updates to the SWAM Saxophones.

1. Add Modal Resonance to the MIDI CC Mapping Options page.
    While I can assign an automation lane for this in Cubase, it would be convenient to add it to the SWAM Engine.

2. Some saxophone recordings have a close-mic'd kind of sound where the breath noise sounds gritty or "spitty". Sure, that sound is something people try to avoid, but flaws like that have character. It would be nice to have a selection of breath/noise types to choose from.

3. Different types of vibrato to choose from would be a nice touch along with the ability to switch on the fly by having it assigned to a MIDI CC on the Options page.

If any of the development team reads this, I'd like to request a few features to consider for future updates to the SWAM Saxophones. 1. Add Modal Resonance to the MIDI CC Mapping Options page. While I can assign an automation lane for this in Cubase, it would be convenient to add it to the SWAM Engine. 2. Some saxophone recordings have a close-mic'd kind of sound where the breath noise sounds gritty or "spitty". Sure, that sound is something people try to avoid, but flaws like that have character. It would be nice to have a selection of breath/noise types to choose from. 3. Different types of vibrato to choose from would be a nice touch along with the ability to switch on the fly by having it assigned to a MIDI CC on the Options page.

@98bpm thanks for your proposals.

The only concern we have is why you should control the Modal Resonance in real time? That's a fixed characteristic of the pipe, of how the instrument has been built. In the real life you cannot control it for a give instrument, at least not in real-time.

@98bpm thanks for your proposals. The only concern we have is why you should control the Modal Resonance in real time? That's a fixed characteristic of the pipe, of how the instrument has been built. In the real life you cannot control it for a give instrument, at least not in real-time.

1) I don't know about Cubase, but with Reaper, any DAW parameter (i.e. something that a VST can save and restore using the DAW or something that can be "automated" ) can be assigned to CC messages in a complex way. I use this with the SWAM Flutes.
2) smile
3) Diaphragm vibrato vs. "Bite" vibrato. By the saxophone player in my band, I was told, bite vibrato sounds like a broken disk record smilesmile . Supposedly you can decently simulate a "Bite" vibrato by automating Pitch Bend.
-Michael

1) I don't know about Cubase, but with Reaper, any DAW parameter (i.e. something that a VST can save and restore using the DAW or something that can be "automated" ) can be assigned to CC messages in a complex way. I use this with the SWAM Flutes. 2) :) 3) Diaphragm vibrato vs. "Bite" vibrato. By the saxophone player in my band, I was told, bite vibrato sounds like a broken disk record :) :) . Supposedly you can decently simulate a "Bite" vibrato by automating Pitch Bend. -Michael
edited Oct 26 at 5:42 am

@admin Excuse my ignorance, as I'm not a real saxophone player. So my knowledge of the physical parts of the instrument is limited. My interest in this control is for tonality. I've been working on trying to mimic the sound of the half-tonguing technique. I found that by combining other parameters with the modal resonance and assigning them to a single controller, I can get a better emulation of the technique. However, the other parameters on the main page can be assigned within the interface. Modal Resonance has to be assigned through a lengthy process within the DAW, but it can be done. The only issue is that this parameter does produce an audible "stair-steppng" kind of sound when changing values from 1 to 127. So I tend to use a pedal instead of a fader or knob.

@admin Excuse my ignorance, as I'm not a real saxophone player. So my knowledge of the physical parts of the instrument is limited. My interest in this control is for tonality. I've been working on trying to mimic the sound of the half-tonguing technique. I found that by combining other parameters with the modal resonance and assigning them to a single controller, I can get a better emulation of the technique. However, the other parameters on the main page can be assigned within the interface. Modal Resonance has to be assigned through a lengthy process within the DAW, but it can be done. The only issue is that this parameter does produce an audible "stair-steppng" kind of sound when changing values from 1 to 127. So I tend to use a pedal instead of a fader or knob.

@mschnell Thanks for that. Didn't know what the names were for those different vibrato types. I'll have to play around with the pitch bend and see what I come up with. I have an old Yamaha vl70-m with a modified vprom chip. The sound designer had a patch that did a great emulation of the bite vibrato.

@mschnell Thanks for that. Didn't know what the names were for those different vibrato types. I'll have to play around with the pitch bend and see what I come up with. I have an old Yamaha vl70-m with a modified vprom chip. The sound designer had a patch that did a great emulation of the bite vibrato.
live preview
enter atleast 1 characters
WARNING: You mentioned %MENTIONS%, but they cannot see this message and will not be notified
Saving...
Saved
With selected deselect posts show selected posts
All posts under this topic will be deleted ?
Pending draft ... Click to resume editing
Discard draft