SWAM
Audio Modeling products and Mac OS Catalina?

Hi guys. I'll soon be buying a MacBook Pro 16" machine and unfortunately, these come with 10.15 Catalina and can't be downgraded to an earlier OS.

Are Audio Modeling products 100% compatible with Catalina?

Cheers
Gary

Hi guys. I'll soon be buying a MacBook Pro 16" machine and unfortunately, these come with 10.15 Catalina and can't be downgraded to an earlier OS. Are Audio Modeling products 100% compatible with Catalina? Cheers Gary

Is such a mac compatible with any software that does not come Apple branded ?
In fact there have been some discussions in the Reaper forum on the Catalina "notarization" issue. There seem to be ways you can make Catalina accept software (executables and libraries) that are not yet notarized.
-Michael

Is such a mac compatible with **any** software that does not come Apple branded ? In fact there have been some discussions in the Reaper forum on the Catalina "notarization" issue. There seem to be ways you can make Catalina accept software (executables and libraries) that are not yet notarized. -Michael

Michael, that's a weird question...of course the new MBP is compatible with software that's not Apple branded.

Re. Catalina: I could be wrong but it seems to me that most plugins (AU, VST etc) are already 64-bit and should work but their installers may fail due to the use of 32-bit code. I'm wondering if I can just manually copy the plugins themselves into the correct folders and avoid the installation process if the installer fails?? I realise that installation sometimes creates preset folders and other bits and pieces but if I copy those files from my current computer, I wonder if that'll be enough to get me up and running until those products are officially compatible with Catalina?

I'm a bit surprised that the Audio Modeling guys haven't addressed Catalina compatibility yet, given that virtually every other audio developer has.

Michael, that's a weird question...of course the new MBP is compatible with software that's not Apple branded. Re. Catalina: I could be wrong but it seems to me that most plugins (AU, VST etc) are already 64-bit and should work but their installers may fail due to the use of 32-bit code. I'm wondering if I can just manually copy the plugins themselves into the correct folders and avoid the installation process if the installer fails?? I realise that installation sometimes creates preset folders and other bits and pieces but if I copy those files from my current computer, I wonder if that'll be enough to get me up and running until those products are officially compatible with Catalina? I'm a bit surprised that the Audio Modeling guys haven't addressed Catalina compatibility yet, given that virtually every other audio developer has.

of course the new MBP is compatible with software that's not Apple branded.

Yes seemingly that is true right now. But what will come in the future ?
-Michael

> of course the new MBP is compatible with software that's not Apple branded. Yes seemingly that is true right now. But what will come in the future ? -Michael

That's a bit pessimistic, Michael, but I understand where you're coming from.

In any case, last night I installed Catalina on an external HDD (with my mid-2014 15" MBP) in order to test MainStage and the plugins I normally use. Everything installed fine - although some weren't available to use until after a system reboot - and all of my plugins that don't use copy protection or have unlimited activations appear to work fine. However, I didn't want to waste an activation for my Audio Modeling plugins on a test installation....does anyone know how the Audio Modeling activation process works in terms of recovering activations that are no longer being used? i.e. I'd like to test these plugins but don't want to possibly waste an activation if I can't easily recover this for a proper installation.

That's a bit pessimistic, Michael, but I understand where you're coming from. In any case, last night I installed Catalina on an external HDD (with my mid-2014 15" MBP) in order to test MainStage and the plugins I normally use. Everything installed fine - although some weren't available to use until after a system reboot - and all of my plugins that don't use copy protection or have unlimited activations appear to work fine. However, I didn't want to waste an activation for my Audio Modeling plugins on a test installation....does anyone know how the Audio Modeling activation process works in terms of recovering activations that are no longer being used? i.e. I'd like to test these plugins but don't want to possibly waste an activation if I can't easily recover this for a proper installation.
edited Nov 26 '19 at 3:05 am

@Maddcow you do not waste your authorizations, never.
If for any reason your authorizations get lost, you can always login to your account on our Customer Portal https://my.audiomodeling.com and "de-authorize" your activations.

Expand the license key for that authorization clicking on the green area and press "DE-AUTHORIZE".

Best!

@Maddcow you do not waste your authorizations, never. If for any reason your authorizations get lost, you can always login to your account on our Customer Portal https://my.audiomodeling.com and "de-authorize" your activations. Expand the license key for that authorization clicking on the green area and press "DE-AUTHORIZE". Best!

@admin, that's great to have confirmed. I ordered a new 16" MBP yesterday but won't receive it until around 9 Dec. The first thing I'll do will be to install MainStage and then my various plugins....I'll report back with my findings concerning the new 16" MBP/Catalina and Audio Modeling plugins. Worst-case scenario will be that some older deal-breaker plugins won't work and I return the MBP for a refund. So far, my older plugins are working on my external HDD installation of Catalina and so I have my fingers crossed that they'll still work on the new MBP.

@admin, that's great to have confirmed. I ordered a new 16" MBP yesterday but won't receive it until around 9 Dec. The first thing I'll do will be to install MainStage and then my various plugins....I'll report back with my findings concerning the new 16" MBP/Catalina and Audio Modeling plugins. Worst-case scenario will be that some older deal-breaker plugins won't work and I return the MBP for a refund. So far, my older plugins are working on my external HDD installation of Catalina and so I have my fingers crossed that they'll still work on the new MBP.
edited Nov 28 '19 at 5:14 am

You do know the methods (command-line tools) to make non-notarized plugins run on Catalina (discussed e.g. in the Reaper Forum ? ). (I don't do any Mac, myself.)
-Michael

You do know the methods (command-line tools) to make non-notarized plugins run on Catalina (discussed e.g. in the Reaper Forum ? ). (I don't do any Mac, myself.) -Michael

@mschnell: no, I wasn't aware of the command-line tools for Catalina. Would you be able to post a link?

@mschnell: no, I wasn't aware of the command-line tools for Catalina. Would you be able to post a link?
live preview
enter atleast 1 characters
WARNING: You mentioned %MENTIONS%, but they cannot see this message and will not be notified
Saving...
Saved
With selected deselect posts show selected posts
All posts under this topic will be deleted ?
Pending draft ... Click to resume editing
Discard draft